Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Found this hanging on my fence today!

I never used to wear a suit, just a veil, but as I've gotten older and have developed more and more allergies my husband told me no more bees unless I wear my suit. He didn't want me develop a bee allergy and so for him and the girls I do. Besides people expect the beekeeper to wear the suit when I show up for a swarm.
    Deb

Swarming bees won't sting you.
    Right! That's a big myth.
    Granted many times they are pretty docile, but I have seen the times when they were not.

I happen to be allergic, to bee venom, so I always suit up.

Nice swarm. You can dump a swarm in a hive and they will reorient to that hive. They seem to forget the place they came from when they issue with a swarm. No need to lock them in.

What is wrong with dressing to the level you are comfortable working bees? The bees do not care. The beekeeper might sweat a little more. Until you positively know what you are comfortable in, and you can identify a wet swarm from a dry swarm/feral colony, and you know calm bees from defensive bees, it is better to be safe than swollen.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Exactly!! Totally what you are more comfortable with at any particular time. Different situations=different comfort levels.
    Last edited by Barry; 04-05-2011 at 10:23 AM.

This is where "myth-information" can start. People read that swarms don't sting, and that gets spread around. Next thing you know, a person is trying to handle a swarm without gear and gets stung like crazy - SURPRISE!! Bees are hard to predict consistently.

My grandfather got stung so badly by a swarm, he was in bed for days. No gear, and the swarm dropped off the tree branch and landed on him. Came back to the house as naked as a jay bird. Had so many bees inside his clothes, that he opted to leave them behind with the angry bees.

Being cautious isn't necessarily the sign of someone who isn't experienced. Sometimes, it's just the opposite.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    Being cautious isn't necessarily the sign of someone who isn't experienced. Sometimes, it's just the opposite.

Adam
    The man wearing the full suit has 4 years experience working for a large, well known, commercial operation in my area.. When he worked for them they would pull 2000 queens a day,

This is my second year and believe me I learn fast and from other peoples mistakes 16 years as a paramedic taught me you can never be too careful. One bee sting to the eye is all it takes to be blind in that eye.. I would rather wear a veil a million times than loose sight for the rest of my life.. Call me a sissy but I also wear safety glasses when running table saws!

My veil is part of my UltraBreeze bee jacket ( another lesson I have learned , buy good gear!) so I must wear at least the jacket... IF you notice in the picture I am wearing a pair of blue jeans... This swarm that "would not hurt a fly" stung me twice through those heavy jeans...

Update. The swarm took in a quart of 1 to 1 overnight... I stuck another quart on and took off the entrance screen about 10 AM.

They seemed calm and have a good amount of foragers out this afternoon.. I see some coming back with pollen and the entrance is pretty busy. I had to place them in a hive with only undrawn foundation that I had put a extra coat of wax on. I am really short on drawn foundation so in a couple of days I am going to take out at least two frames from their old hive (if they are still here and needing it) when I open it up to place the new queen.

I have two new queens on the way and plan on putting one into the hive I suspect is queenless. There were three cells in that hive and we could not find a queen so I thought it best to install a new mated queen. At the same time I am going to open up the swarms box and see what they have for a queen and install the second new queen if needed..

I have one other hive that might swarm on me. The queen in that one is a clipped buckfast and boy can she lay eggs.. I found a few cells in her hive last week, removed them and added more boxes in an effort to keep them happy

Cant Believe my EYES

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/wan/2304822927.html

this yoyo - ive been dealing with for years - keeps taking others photos and using them for his ads -

what a LOW LIFE - cant even take pictures of his OWN bees
    i called him last year and told him to take MY pictures off his site - and here he is at it again stealing others pictures of there swarms

anyhow sorry to rant but thought you should know that your hard work is going to a lazy bums craigslist post

Barry- is there a way that we can make our photo uploads safe from copy paste theft???
    Doing the Right things Right
    http://thevalleysbuzz.webs.com/

Concrete-I to would like to know....I need to start watermarking all my pix.

Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

I was looking at the ad and thought, this doesn't look so bad...I had not finished reading your post first cause I wanted to see what was wrong before you told us. Got to the pics and it became obvious real quick. It's almost like you have to put something across the picture like other places do so that the image if used again without permission will have some writting on it. Maybe you should put your phone number on the pics? Might get some calls.

C2

Mike - your right - we just have to start water making our photos before posting them -

last year he also had taken a photo out of the Beekeeping for Dummies book - the one with a swarm on the picnic table - this guy should write a book on photo theft for Dummies !!!!!

anyhow just want to get the word out to others that take time to take a great photo - take the time to mark them as yours

You could contact Craigslist with a complaint about your photos and they will remove it per the section of their terms of service quoted below. Or right now, you could click the"prohibited" button under "flag with care" in the upper right corner Last time I used this was for something similar and their post was down in a heart-beat.

Wayne

From the Terms of Service:

5. NOTIFICATION OF CLAIMS OF INFRINGEMENT

If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes
    copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been
    otherwise violated, please notify craigslist's agent for notice of claims of
    copyright or other intellectual property infringement ("Agent"), at

abuse@craigslist.org

or:

Copyright Agent
    craigslist
    1381 9th Avenue
    San Francisco, CA

Please provide our Agent with the following Notice:

a) Identify the material on the craigslist site that you claim is
    infringing, with enough detail so that we may locate it on the website;

b) A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed
    use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;

c) A statement by you declaring under penalty of perjury that (1) the above
    information in your Notice is accurate, and (2) that you are the owner of
    the copyright interest involved or that you are authorized to act on behalf
    of that owner;

d) Your address, telephone number, and email address; and

e) Your physical or electronic signature.

craigslist will remove the infringing posting(s), subject to the the procedures
    outlined in the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Quote Originally Posted by concrete-bees View Post
    Barry- is there a way that we can make our photo uploads safe from copy paste theft???
    I did remove his listing at www.beeremovalsource.com and told him it was due to his photo violation on his Craigslist ad.

I haven't yet activated photo storage on the forum yet, but plan to as soon as I get a little break to get it all configured. I'll know more then as to any security, but I doubt it will prevent anyone from making a copy if they want to. All one has to do is view a photo and take a screen shot of it.
    Regards, Barry

Barry, you are right...and one can crop the corner water mark out of the screen shot...any pics i post anymore will have letters on them... i have good work and it is just not worth someone else taking it....my new website is getting launched soon and there will be a no right click on pictures feature.

MIke
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Are you newbees or what are the suits for? You can call a swarm names and do mean things to them without getting stung.
    Why do you or anyone on this forum feel the need to encourage folks to work bees without protection?
    karla

If half of the people reading this thread would just take 10 seconds and flag the offending Craigslist ad, it will be gone in no time - poof.

Calling or e-mailing Craigslist wont get you anywhere, they just dont have time to deal with every complaint. That's why it is self-moderated. Anyone can flag any ad any time for any reason. Flag it and it will be gone.

We get flagged all the time...even if we follow the rules. I can get any ad off singlehandedly in a few minutes...just push the back button and click on the ad again.
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Well at least it's just bee pics, not too personal.

Recently there was a case in my country where a girl discovered a picture of herself in an English magazine promoting themselves! Other side of the world, it was pure concidence somebody who knew her was there on holiday and discovered it.

She complained to the magazine and they refused to do anything, claiming the photo was supplied by a "contractor", and continued to use it. Till her Dad got a lawyer.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Reminder Re: Found this hanging on my fence today!

Sorry about the picture I was not paying attention to what pictures I was posting. I took the picture off. I collect swarm pictures, I just like them. Yes, I have my own pictures. I will pay more attention in the future.
    Jon Taylor

I spoke with Jon today and he will remove them from craigslist
    lessoned learned -
    i just hate to see someone spend good money on a camera and take clear shots to have them not get ful credit for them

thanks Barry for looking into the matter - as always - you are on top of things !!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast