Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Found this hanging on my fence today!

I think they came from a hive that had three queen cells last week... Could not find a queen in that hive today but there were still tons of bees...

We sprayed the swarm with sugar water, scooped them into a bucket and placed them in a new deep with a frame of capped, uncapped brood eggs from another hive..

Tonight they are locked up with a screened entrance for fresh air and a nice quart jar full of my best 1 to 1, vintage friday.

I was going to feed them for a couple of days then remove the screen and place a branch over the opening to try to reorient them..

Am I forgetting anything?

Default Re: Found this hanging on my fence today!

Congratulations, I wish they were all that easy. Are you newbees or what are the suits for? You can call a swarm names and do mean things to them without getting stung. You can let them fly tomorrow morning. They are likely to stay with a nursery already running. Bees will do what they want to no matter what we want. A swarm ingests and carries the entire food supply. They really need to get out and poop by tomorrow.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Agree with that, locking them up is not what would happen in nature and will trigger a "let's get out of here" response.

They want a nice new home. You have given them one. They will be happy in it if you let them behave naturally, and don't overfeed. No reorientation needed.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Are you newbees or what are the suits for? You can call a swarm names and do mean things to them without getting stung.
    If the most experienced beekeepers were polled, I suspect that it would show that a large majority wear protection when working with a swarm.... but I could be wrong.

swatkins,

Great photo!
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    If the most experienced beekeepers were polled, I suspect that it would show that a large majority wear protection when working with a swarm.... but I could be wrong.

swatkins,

Great photo!
    I rarely use a bee suit. Use veil and gloves only when catching a swarm on cloudy or windy days. On calm sunny days, bare hands, bare face. You can tell within the first minute what temperment they have.

I hived some bees yesterday out of a log cut by loggers a few days ago. The loggers had split the log and got all the honey out two days ago. There was one comb of brood left, and that's all. I put it in one of those nifty folding feral comb frames, (found in the Do it Yourself section) and scooped up bees for about 2 hrs. Don't know for sure if I have the queen, as I never saw her, but the bees act like she is in there. A few days will tell.

I did have the gloves and veil on when I approached this situation, but removed both. Only one sting when I mashed a bee that had lit in my arm pit.

I can't say I blame them for wearing the suits..A neighbor called the other day telling me she had a swarm in the shrub by her house...I took my ladder and pruning shears to cut them down with no vail or suit....They tryed to eat me up..had to suit up they stung me 5 times....Sometimes they don't play by all the rules.

arkansasbeekeeper, how time consuming are those frames to make. we have used rubber bands, yarn ,ect. what a pain. used 25# fishing line on the one last week. still time consuming.

Wearing a suit does not harm that I'm aware of so why not if it makes one more comfortable with what they are doing.

I read that if you leave any bees behind from a swarm that they can become agitated and more likely to sting strangers. Has anyone had any experience with that?

Congrads on the swarm!
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

Quote Originally Posted by knoxjk View Post
    I can't say I blame them for wearing the suits..A ...Sometimes they don't play by all the rules.
    Yep one day you will go after a swarm that has been hanging around for 2 or more days---LOOK OUT
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Ed is right. Dry swarms can be mean. Actually, all swarms are gentle except the ones that aren't! Better to be safe than sorry.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

In my (painful) experience you can shake them once (or 2-3 times if done quickly), but if they cluster again and you have to start over, watch out and put on a veil or suit.

Newbie or not, I don't believe the expected response of the poster was someone trolling for an argument. One would think that, by now, the consensus here would be that there is no one right way to do anything.

Congratulations on an easy catch. It's nice to see green in your photo. Since spring doesn't look like it is ever going to arrive here, except on the calender, swarm season seems a long way off.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    ...It's nice to see green in your photo. Since spring doesn't look like it is ever going to arrive here, except on the calender, swarm season seems a long way off...

Wayne
    I'm feelin' ya Wayne. I'm holding my breath here as the crocuses appear, and the temperature goes above and below freezing each day - waiting for it to be warm enough to believe that my bees have actually made it.

Adam

Took 2 swarms down on Thursday in shorts and a t-shirt, no big deal. Even the swarm that took up residence in a tree on Thursday that I started a trap out on Friday, were no problems. The swarm I took down on Friday, in same "safety gear" and recieved 20 stings. I even had stings that I didn't know I had until my wife pointed them out when I was getting ready to get in the shower. THEY WERE MEAN! By far the meanest swarm I have EVER encountered.

C2

What are some of the reasons that a swarm might get mean?

Adam

Swarms calls come sometimes when unexpected. I have been caught without a veil or anything at all. I have also seen times I wish I had my full suit. Swarms occasionally can be very agressive at least that has been my experience.

the one I caught friday was mean as I ever seen. took bout 6 stings and I was wearin protection. suit was full of stingers. they absconded on me today. they were a lot calmer when I caught them this time

Adam, I think the main cause is finding a dry swarm, a swarm that has been there several days and is running out of food. In all the swarms I have caught I was only stung by one of them, and even though I don't gear up to catch them my gloves and veil are always in the truck
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by trainwrecker View Post
    arkansasbeekeeper, how time consuming are those frames to make. we have used rubber bands, yarn ,ect. what a pain. used 25# fishing line on the one last week. still time consuming.
    All pieces are the same thickness and width, 3/4" x 1/2", but 3 different lengths. Just rip a 3/4" thick board into 1/2" strips. A brad nailer works great. Just glue and nail. Drill small holes for wire in the same positions on all end bars. Put hinges on, put small wire in, (I put five on each panel). Use a small piece of wire to tie top bars together after putting in feral comb. When you use one, you will find they are well worth the effort. Neat thing about it is you can lay it down and open it like a lid on a box, lay the comb in it, close it and wire the top. No wrestling with comb while putting on rubber bands, etc. Very quick to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    Ed is right. Dry swarms can be mean. Actually, all swarms are gentle except the ones that aren't! Better to be safe than sorry.
    Absolutely they can. That's when I use the gloves and veil. I usually spray those types with sugar water for a while to calm them down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast