Default Feeding New Bee Package ???

Hi All:

I'm installing 2 new hives this year. Generally, bee keepers use a mixture of sugar and water to feed new bees. However, I have full frames of honey from my other hives that are excess to my needs. I am thinking of providing these this excess honey to the new bees.

If I do this, are there any disadvantages? How many frames would I need to establish a new colony?

FYI, I live in Northern California and there are a ton of flowers in bloom, so gathering nectar is not a problem right now. The new bees just need a little head start.

Thanks

Default Re: Feeding New Bee Package ???

Syrup is typically fed to new colonies in the spring to simulate a flow which encourages the bee's to build comb and the queen to lay. If that is your goal, giving them honey will not have the desired effect, if on the other hand you simply want them to have a supply of food while they build up then it will be fine.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Default Re: Feeding New Bee Package ???

Yes, the latter is my goal -- give the new colony something to eat as they establish themselves. Do you think 1 frame will be enough?