Default Saw Palmetto bloom stalks appear, maybe this year will be better than last 2

Picture taken 4/1/11 on Fort Lauderdale, median strip.
    Rich soil and watering help, the plants on the dry sandy soils had no bloom starts.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    acrylic projects picture blog
    http://plasticsjournal.livejournal.com/

Default Re: Saw Palmetto bloom stalks appear, maybe this year will be better than last 2

A beautiful sight, just look what's ahead.
    Palmetto has started to pop a bit here as well, looks like it could be pretty good this year especially if we continue to get a bit of rain and the love bugs stay away. Palmetto is the best of the best!!

Default Re: Saw Palmetto bloom stalks appear, maybe this year will be better than last 2

I noticed the same thing here in North Fl. but, they are not as far a long as in your pic. Ours are just starting to grow out from the trunk of the palm. I have a several right on the edge of my lawn and I have been throughing some all purpose fertilizer around them to see if it would make much of a difference. It seems to have helped some of those palmetoes have 5-6 stalks coming up. Where the ones in the woods only have 2-3 and they are not as far along.

I'm hoping the rain we just had will get the Gallberries going strong. I've noticed a few flowers already open. I'm also hoping the Tupelo will do better this year!

Forget the Tupelo, I'll take the Palmetto any day.