Thread: Soy Beans

Default Soy Beans

What is the thought on how many hives per acre.

Default Re: Soy Beans

Me too?

Any good honey yield too?

Around here it is pretty much a crap shoot with SB... I would say the odds are 1 in 3 that you would get anything. But I have made SB honey... and when it happens it happens fast. As far as the hives per acre... maybe 2... just a wild guess.. the SB certainly do not need bees for pollination.

Wink Re: Soy Beans

It is a "crap-shoot"! I am in NW Ohio and am surrounded by thousands of acres of soy-beans (within a couple of miles)! From what I have observed, I can not tell if the bees are working the SB or something else they like
    May have a lot to the type of soy bean

I'm in SE Ohio and last summer during an otherwise dearth late soybeans bloomed and I had full supers almost overnight. Very light honey.

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    I'm in SE Ohio and last summer during an otherwise dearth late soybeans bloomed and I had full supers almost overnight. Very light honey.
    Yup... thats the way it "CAN" happen... overnight and then it's done...

Soybeans have two colored blooms depending on the variaty. They are white and purple blooms. The white variaty yields more nectar than the purple. We have hundreds of colonies of bees on hundreds of acres that rotate out year to year between beans and cotton. Our best crops come from white bloom soybeans. The purple will yield best in wet years. TK

There are also early and late soybeans. The late variety of soy beans are double cropped or planted after winter wheat is combined. Say in June or July. Then dent corn or cotton is planted on that same land the following spring.

I understand that the late variety of soybeans are not very good nectar producers. I don't know this I just suspect it, or remember hearing or reading it somewhere. Try a thread search here, you may find more information than I can give.

Try this out:
    Quote Originally Posted by FANNBEE View Post
    Got this from a great Alabama web site. Long season crop (bluish bloom) makes surplus honey while the short season crop (white bloom) seldom does. Short crop Soybeans normally follow winter wheat while long season Soybeans are planted about the same time as cotton.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/newr...reply&p=434987
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...=late+soybeans
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

To get a good flow on s/b it takes hot days and hot nights. Those nights when you step outside and you sweat. Also i belive you need akaline soil. I get a good flow from beans most of the time in july and august.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Last year i done a online search on soy beans and found out not all soy beans are a good nectar source....It depends on the brand..I dont know how much truth there is to that but thats what i found out!

I am guessing the hot nights is correct. I have not had a crop off the beans for 8 years. blue blossoms on most of the beans but I am smack dab in the middle of bean country and believe me very little honey fro them. I have followed them during the bloom and never seen them on the beans, doesn't matter the time of day. But I know it can happen.

Thumbs Up Re: Soy Beans

I produce an avg. of 40+ ton a year from soy beans. Nice honey.

To me the question is are you on beans that are irrigated or not?
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson

And my question would be... what variety of SB is generally planted in your area. And what type of soil is found in the area... alkaline.. or acid.

When it does come in it really does make nice honey.