Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My hive swarmed by I recaptured them..help needed

One of my hives swarmed at I watched and luckily they clustered on a low enough limb for me to (after several failed attempts) shake them with queen into a cardboard bait box. They stayed this time and are congregating inside.

I want to make sure they stay since I've heard of them leaving sometimes even after they've seemingly moved in.

The box holds 5 frames and I have four in there now. Three with wax foundation and one with old, drawn comb. After I got them in there I nudged the frames closer together in the center of the box.

I have the lid about 90% on top so they feel safe. The box is sitting on a ladder with the entrance facing west. After they all go in I plan to close the lid, then what?

As of now they are a mere feet from other hives and only about 15 feet from their parent colony. I'm afraid they'll feel like they haven't really moved so I am thinking about at dusk moving them about 50 feet away out of sight of the other hives and their former home with the entrance facing east.

Is that okay or should I be doing something else?
    Last edited by Dr.Wax; 04-01-2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: dfd

Default Re: My hive swarmed by I recaptured them..help needed

Give them a couple drawn combs if you have it and a frame of brood. They don't usually leave brood. Close them up for a day or two also helps. Just make sure they have some kind of ventilation if you close them up.

-Dan

Is this an empty box or are there frames in it?? If they like to home where you put them will make little difference, just get them some nice digs. However, I had a swarm that I re-caught 3 times and they still ended up leaving.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    Is this an empty box or are there frames in it??

The box holds 5 frames and I have four in there now. Three with wax foundation and one with old, drawn comb.

What about moving them at dusk out of sight of their parent colony?

They will have to be moved eventually anyhow since they are sitting on a ladder right now right next to another bee hive.

First you will want to get that 5th frame in there or they are going to make a mess...moving them at dusk is perfect.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Okay thanks for your responses.

You can move them a distance away or you can put them close. I have never noticed any problem with putting them next to their old home. I usually give them a little sugar water to get the foundation drawn. Should not be long until they fill up those five frames and be ready to move into a larger home. Good luck,

Ok, I might just put them on an empty hive stand nearby if it doesn't make any difference. Then after they get going and have brood I'll put them into a deep.

Sorry they swarmed but at least I got em back! And it was a large one too. Three feet long and about the volume of a basketball.

Well i see its that time!!! Mine have been really really active and numerous times I thought they were going to swarm but have not so far. Last year I have a hive swarm 3 different times on three different days. I caught them all and put them right next to the parent colony. If you have a frame of brood u could take from another hive they would more than likely stay. But you know last year none of mine ever left after I caught them. Lucky I suppose!

Yeah I was a *little* surprised they swarmed on a completely cloudy, cool day and early in the day too but they must know (probably based upon the pressure) that the day will end up being sunny and warm.

I was not surprised this particular hive swarmed since their top deep was honey bound and I found brood comb between boxes which told me they were starved for space.

One other thing I noticed was that the bait hive in my garage was getting attention last few days and the scouts would fly back in the direction of where my hives are.

Just thankful they landed where I could get em. I'll watch for after swarms next couple days but dang, can't imagine many bees are left after that huge swarm!

Maybe I'm too late, but make sure you put in that fifth frame to fill the box, it was a pain to move a box and realize all the frames are banging around.

I've also put a swarm hive next to the parent hive. Seemed ok to me, they went to their respective hives. But we only had 4 hives, not hundreds...
    Mil Apostol - Chef, Beekeeper, Gardener, Forager, and Geocacher
    http://www.UrbanFarmAndBeehives.com

Yes, I added a 5th frame before sunset and then moved them at dusk to near the other 4 hives. Hopefully they'll stay. I looked in entrance and they were still tightly clustered in there like in a swarm so I don't know..

If you add a frame of brood from another colony, should it be all or mostly capped? Should you remove all of the bees before transferring it over?

They have been known to leave brood over here.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

In answer to the original question-it depends. What we tend to forget is that nest scouting starts with commitment to swarm by starting swarm cells. If the nest scouts have reached a consensus on a suitable location before issue they know where they are going at issue. They may only settle nearby for a couple hours, and be on their way, The same day.

The collected swarm located in the same area does not lose contact with it's nest scouts staking out the selected future nest site. They get their heads together and lead the now-boxed swarm to the preselected site.

It's a low-percentage situation, but it does happen. Typically, the site selection is still in process for a day or two in the settled swarm near the parent colony, but the urgency is getting more severe, and they may have to agree to a site that is less than optimum.

We have never had a swarm leave it's box that was collected from more than 20 miles away. They lose contact with their nest scouts in the field.

Walt

I may pop a frame of brood in there tomorrow to seal the deal. I dunno. It would be nice to know what percentage leave in this situation. From what I gather from your comments, it is small. One thing I did do was make the entrance smaller.

Thank you so much to everyone who replied..it has been a wild day. Special thanks to Walt for his thoughtful reply, I appreciate the years you have put into this field, my veil is off to you.. well, at least when no bees are around!

I find that open brood is better than capped brood every time.

frazz

so open brood is better, and do you remove the all of the bees?

and do you remove the all of the bees?
    I would like this answered too.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping