Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: My first go at grafting (by my self) today!

This is a great discussion! I'm planning on doing some grafting myself this season and enjoy reading about others' experiences.

Good luck!!

-- Steven

Retry in the fall? Retry in a few days! You already set up the starter and the mating nucs- you can do it ten times this season.

I'm in a similar boat on the new grafting, I had good success and have 17/25 cells take. They are ready to transfer to nucs tonight. I worked until after dark last night but just got five nucs setup. I have 7 more nuc boxes ready and will need to get them tonight. I'm very hopeful and was really suprised with 17 cells. I only have 13 hives and pulling enough brood and food for 12 or 13 nucs is pulling the hives down quite a bit but I guess it beats them swarming from over crowding. I had intended to do some more grafting but don't have anywhere to put that many cells right now.

Tim

Tim - you know you could always put multiple cells in your mating nucs. It would be a bit of insurance against the ones that don't emerge.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Retry in the fall? Retry in a few days! You already set up the starter and the mating nucs- you can do it ten times this season.
    I will retry before the fall, but probably not in the next week or so. I was hoping to be able to use stock from one of Russell's Sunkists, and one made it here the day before yesterday, so I'm giving her a little bit of time to get used to her new digs, possibly make a few drones, and do a set of grafting after that.

Good effort Tim! Just shows even a beginner can do it!

And Specialkayme I'm sure next time you will get a higher take all the way along. Not only because you'll have learned a bit more all the time, but seasonality will be on your side for the next one. I'll be interested in any updates.

This thread is also a great encouragement to others thinking of trying it.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I already know a number of things that will increase my percentage next time:
    1. Using a grafting tool that is from Russell's Apiary.
    2. Better make-up of nucs
    3. Better weather
    4. Better planting of the cells.

I'm very excited about the next take, but I'm more interested in figuring out the final percentage from the first go. Out of 36 graft attempts, we are down to 4 cells that emerged. Their mating flights should be going on right around now, so in about two weeks I'll know where we stand.

I'm hoping my nucs will be better on the second round because they will have a few established foragers and guards. I'm pretty sure that the ones I just made up a few days ago have been robbed because they had feed on them. I reduced the entrances with a piece of screen with a pencil hole in it and hope for the best.

Good luck on the next round! I was in a similar position to you. I raised about 12 queen cells out of 36 to almost maturity and I moved them into mating nucs a bit early ( day 11) . I was concerned how I was going to populate my mating nucs because I didn't want to tear down my only big honey hive to do it and the only other hive was a small starter/finisher hive I was using to raise the queen cells I had grafted. I was lucky I had another source of bees from a trap out. I was skeptical that they would stay put in the mating nucs, being mostly field bees with no brood at all. But they had some stores and so I divided up these bees into 6 mating nucs of 2 frames each a nd fed them at first. I gave each nuc 2 queen cells and of these I now have 5 nucs with virgin queens walking around. These trap out bees really helped me out! normally i would have just given them a new queen or a frame of young larvae and had them try to raise their own queen but they ended up raising 5 new queens! it remains to be seen if these queens mate and lay successfully however.

Here is the trap out video to show you what I mean...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXVySTj2w3U I've posted this before.... forgive me

Richard

Checked in on a couple of my first batch of cells planted in mating nucs 5 days - both of those have virgins in them despite getting robbed for a day or two.

My second go round of grafting has 12 cells being built out of 16 grafts after 3 days. Up from 6 out of 11 on the first set. I must say though that I bet a few of them don't get capped, because there is a lot of variation in the size of the 3 day old cells.

I probably should not be checking on them this soon (?) but was replenishing pollen patties anyway. That's my sorry excuse anyway.