Default Should I Replace This Comb?

I just purchased two USED complete bee hives today, both with full comb within the frames. When I got home I checked the severity of the comb more thoroughly, and a few frames from the deeps have some kind of mold growing on parts of the comb.

Should I replace the entire frame with new foundation, or simply break off the parts that are infected with this white mold?

I can take pics if it'll help.

Default Re: Should I Replace This Comb?

They will clean the mold up themselves. You need to be concerned with AFB. If you know the previous owner and that they had no problems then you should be fine. Don't worry about the mold though, they will polish those cells up real nice.

Thanks a lot. I am glad to hear that the bees will clean the mold. I will be sure to contact the owner about AFB. Worse case senerio, if it happens to have AFB, what do you recommend to do?

Burn it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by okbees View Post
    Burn it all up.
    Will do! Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Default Re: Should I Replace This Comb? (PICS/UPDATE)

I took pics of what I expected to be mold, now that I look it even more closely, it could be stored pollen. Anybody know what this is exactly?

Also, should the stored pollen be removed or kept for my new bees?

It's mold - but probably growing on stored pollen that has fermented due to moisture in the empty bodies. Might also be some wax moth trails through there.

A strong colony will clean it up if they need the space.

Personally, if I were needing to use that comb I'd help them out and gently scrape off that mold and most of the comb/pollen back towards the mid-rib. What advantage they might gain from having the drawn comb is probably not greater than the effort they will have to go to cleaning that up versus drawing fresh comb.

missed the question about whether to keep the pollen.

Pollen (or more correctly, bee bread) in this condition I wouldn't worry about keeping. I would suspect it has drawn in too much moisture and over-fermented. Odd occasions where I've had stuff in this occasion the bees really don't seem to care for it.