Default Newbie with candle making question

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and not a beekeeper, but interested in making various products with beeswax. I purchase the wax from a local producer and it's already in bars, so I'm assuming (perhaps foolishly) it's clean. I've used it in lotions and lip balm with no issues.

Anyhow, I want to make beeswax votive candles, and I've been reading (this forum and elsewhere) about the particulars but still have a couple questions.

I'm ordering a rubber (or silicone) mold from betterbee. They recommend using a wick needle (which is 18" long!) to thread the wick. I was wondering two things - can I use the wick pins (that I found at candlewic) with the rubber mold? And should I look for a shorter wick needle elsewhere? It seems a little silly to use an 18" needle to put a wick in a 2" candle. Or is that just how it's done?

Also, I plan to use the straight braid wick (#2 size apparently) and I was planning on purchasing a roll of it from betterbee. I'd like to avoid pretabbed wicks if I can. Do I need wick tabs or do I just press the end of the wick into the wax under the candle?

Thanks for any assistance!
    Amanda

Default Re: Newbie with candle making question

Hi,
    I have a silicone votive beehive shaped mold. We just used a piece of stiff wire bent in half to get the wicks in. The wick we used was a square braid wick, either from peak candle, or candlechem, don't remember.
    A large bobby pin holds the wick nicely on top of the mold. Unless you're burning them in a container like a tee light I don't think you'll need the wick holder in the candle.
    Have fun,
    Dan

Don't get the wick pins they are generally for metal molds, I went to a sewing store and got an assortment of upholstery needles that work great for different length molds for cheap. and the silicone molds will seal around the wick by itself so you don't need mold seal.
    Honeydew

The wick tabs will allow almost every bit of wax to burn. Without them, the wick will fall over when the candle gets near the bottom.

A little more on the wick. I also have the little beehive votive mold. Tried 2/0 square braid seems too small, tried #2 square braid nice flame but the candle had a couple runs. Just ordered some #1 square braid hopefully that will be perfect for my votive, & emergency taper they are both about 1-1/2" diameter.

The 2/0 square braid burns perfectly in my hand dipper tapers.
    Dan

I used to make candles, and I would use a little more wick. I agree that the upholstery needles work great for the longer ones. I also used to use a silicone votive. This is all very good advice.

What is use for the needle is a thick needle that fits the wick and then i just push it through the mold and pull it out with my fingers or a pair of pliers.