Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Where to find powdered sugar without cornstarch?

18K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Ravenseye 
#1 ·
I live in Georgia. Can anyone tell me where to buy powdered sugar that doesn't have cornstarch? I've checked Wally World and a local supermarket but they have cornstarch added.
Thanks!

#2 ·
sometime you will find it in specialty health nut stores - but it will cost you a pretty penny for a small bag

better to just make your own - just take table sugar and dump in a cup into the bender and hit spin - it takes a little time but its nice powder sugar without the starch - then just apply with a sifting screen to avoid clumps

best of luck

#12 ·
i love to see all the research that gets us no where
because i read that corn starch is bad for bees and some one else says its fine so use what ever you want

research also says that humans should not raise are work with bees - so who do you believe any more really?

all i see that has ever came out of any research is that 2 people have different opinons on the same subject -

thats my 2cents if you dont like it have Barry delete my profile - that way you have one less opinion to worry about

#13 ·
Many people are looking for natural methods to control mites & powdered sugar is popular w/ some beekeepers. My concern is the cornstarch in the product. It has been shown that the bees cannot digest the cornstarch & it binds up the gut of the bees. Then the bees are not able to absorb nutrients. Until today I have not found a source of powdered sugar without cornstarch.
I found this product by C&H. Only the "Ultra-fine Bakers Sugar" does not contain cornstarch.
http://www.chsugar.com/sugar/granulated-sugar/bakers-sugar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.