Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Mixing sugar tank

I know my way of doing it may not be what you're asking about but here is my method of mixing a tote (the 550 gal things) of feed. I fill it with water then use a boat trolling motor to mix it as I add the sugar, pollen sub, and whatever. No augers, homemade gadgets, or anything else and I can use the motor on the boat fishing too. I don't have any heated water but here in Ga it don't get that cold. So I've never thought I needed the heat to help dissolve the sugar like maybe needed in colder places. I used to use a sheet rock mud mixing thing on a bigger drill but the motor just seemed to work better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaBees View Post
    Have your friends check into the toxic effects of a propane tank that has been used, and is latter used for something else.
    I know someone that recycle some old gas lines, and used them for irrigation. Later the lines were taped to supply water for animals. The animals were sick and constantly dying from the residue poison at the gas lines.
    I dont think its a concern ,they are one of the largest cut comb producers in the southeast . They have had no issues and there bees always look great .

Keith,

I bought a 300 gallon double-lined dairy tank last year. It's stainless and has an 120v agitator with a paddle wheel for mixing. I put 2, 120v immersion heaters (Mann Lake) in 150-200 gallons of water and it almost scalding hot over night. Add sugar with the agitator wheel turning and let it run till cool enough to pump in the hive feeders. I had a metal pallet built into it's base so I can lift it to and from the bee truck and pump right out of it into the hives. I had to modify the upper openings a little so it doesn't slosh syrup out the top when driving down the road--a local machine shop did the work. They build much bigger tanks if you want but you may have to out a couple of agitators in it to mix well--I only wanted something I could pick up with the swinger. I bought mine on ebay from an outfit in Nebraska that specializes in old dairy tanks. Works good and I prefer feeding sugar syrup over HFCS.

Chip

Smile Re: Mixing sugar tank

The guy I spoke of in California runs 15000 colonies. The stainless steel tank is not heated but if you like you can heat it like someone previously said. For the kind of savings you discribed the recirculating pump and stainless steel tank will be paid for in no time good luck.

My friend up here has a regular 55 gallon drum fitted with a brace that goes across the top of the barrel that holds a shaft with a large propeller. He has a motor conected to this (looks a lot like a extractor set up). At the bottom of the barrel is a valve and hose that leads to a pump and another hose thats long enough to go into his tank on the truck. It takes him about 30-40 min to mix each barrel, this includes the filling part way with water and the dumping of sugar and mixing and pumping into his tank on the back of his truck. when i get pics i'll post them.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Thats how I do it too. Except the hose leaving the pump has a gas type nozzle for filling gallon jug feeders.Works ok and could be used on a much larger mixing tank.

Any beekeepers I know up here of any significant size get syrup delivered by the tanker. Some of the smaller ones will mix their own. Maybe in the west some are mixing their own but most use liquid.

If I used as many loads as your talking about and a price difference as great as your talking about I'd setup a system using hopper bottom tanks or bins in a heart beat.

Do brewery or wine tanks have mixers in them?

Some of those 'significant' beeks may have to rethink that ,if the price of liquid sugar keeps going up.

I'm not understanding why the price of liquid sugar is going to increase but not dry sugar.

I don't think it's a matter of being stuck in a rut for beeks using liquid sugar in Canada; just the cheapest source currently.

Question for a many of us is whether we'll go back to HFCS for wintering and risk higher wintering mortality.

The price of both will keep going. Keith just has a secret source for cherap dry sugar. Perhaps fresh from the boat.

Jean-Marc

You are right sugar is going up too. But the market seems volatile and not all products rise at the same rate. Just sayin-sometimes a good deal can be found.

Haven't seen the auger method but we have one that was made out of a 1500 gallon round tank and a jeep rear end.

-- Stood the tank on end, with enough clearance for a pump underneath.
    -- Welded a piece of 10 x 2 inch channel across the top.
    -- Cut one axle off the OLD Jeep rear end, I think the thing has like 5.85:1 gears or something along those lines.
    -- Welded up the spider gears so it will drive with only one axle.
    -- Made a paddle to bolt up to the hub out of a piece of 3 inch pipe, and 3 x 1/2 inch flat.
    -- Slid it all down in the tank and bolted it up.
    -- Bolted a pulley on the pinion where the U joint used to hook up.
    -- Mounted 2 pillar blocks and made up a belt driven gear reduction drive.
    -- Powered it with a 1/2 horse 110 volt motor.

Motor is turning 1760 RPMs paddle is only turning about 12 - 13 RPMs. Don't know about dumping a 500 lb tote of sugar in it at a time, but it'll work you to death dumping 100 lb sacks and never miss a beat. Meter our water going in, quick calculation to determine weight, calculate ratio of sugar.

It was later plumbed into a railroad tank car that was stationary mounted for use with Syrup, pump is plumbed and valved so that you can pump out of the tanker or into the tanker, or out to the fill line for the feed truck. Fill line to the feed truck is also metered for the purpose of selling syrup. It's been idle for awhile, but it's going to be resurrected soon.

Only issue is, IF you are purchasing High Fructose Corn Syrup, by the truck load, your tank car has to meet Food Safe Standards. Including Food Safe Liner, Food Safe Fittings, and an assortment of other garbage.

When that volatile price is right however, and you can purchase a truckload of syrup at the time, you can save some bucks.

Rocky, that was a great post. Best post in a long time! I really like the mind at work in your post, thanks again. Keith
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

That was all my dad's doings many many years ago Keith, around '73 -'74 as best I recall. And, it was actually a very low budget project. The old tank was laying out behind the honey house when we bought the business in '68. It was used to haul water to the bees on the farming section on summer locations, before we started migrating to ND over the summer. Typically kept a couple drums full of water in each yard so they didn't aggravate the land owner and his neighbors quite so bad.

The Jeep rear end was under a junker back in the trees at the neighbor's place. That was a freebie, as he used the mixing tank occasionally as well.

Motor used to drive it was a spare off an old extractor. Used a spare honey pump to pump the syrup. As best I recall, he only had around $150 in the entire mixing tank project.

Railroad tank car was a different story!

You had Keith the minute you put 1500 gallon tank and Jeep rear end in the same sentence. Unless I miss my guess he is already on the trail hunting down parts.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Wow. That setup sounded pretty neat.
    Columbia City, Indiana

It was a pretty easy build Keith! You've just got to find an old Willys or CJ3 rear end to get that gear ratio down there around 6:1 where you need it.

Should anyone attempt this build, keep in mind, you always want to start your mixer and have your water rolling good BEFORE you start adding sugar! Don't dump it in there and expect to turn it on and get it up and going with several hundred pounds of sugar in the bottom. It may or may not start. We did see several hundred pounds settle out on a few occasions and it never had a problem starting up with that settled to the bottom, but...

Trying not to get to horribly OT here but why sugar? It spoils here in a cpl of days. I have 1/3 drum that is toast now b/c the honey flow kicked in. Corn Syrup is easier and cheaper. It does not spoil, crystallize, or take any gadgets to prepare. How in the world are you getting sugar so cheap???? Are you calculating the cost of the equipment into the cost per gallon (or tanker load), parts and repairs down the road, starving bees when the tank needs repairs.....see my train of though? Ive spent 4-5hours this weekend dropping a shaft out of one of the mowers in my fleet...pins stuck etc. Was not fun. I did this instead of supering hives seeing what you are doing over there it seems like spare time is not really there....I could be wrong though.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Big Grin Re: Mixing sugar tank

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    see my train of though? mike
    Mike, when your train catches up with mine, we can compare notes.
    Keith
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast