Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Mixing sugar tank

This question is for the folks up north. I have heard up in Canada they mix dry sugar useing a 18 inch augar in a tank. Does anyone know of this method or have pics of this method.
    Thanks, Keith
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Re: Mixing sugar tank

the mixer is used for 5 gal paint pails. most hardware stores stock them for 5-10 dollars. I use a cordless drill and cold water. after mixing let set for 10-15 minutes and stir one more time. usually we mix 5 pails at a time.much easier than using a barrel and works well.

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    the mixer is used for 5 gal paint pails. .
    that might be useful in the 101 thread.

I'm looking for the "commercial model" they are home built, this is not for a one can dairy. I would like to mix 1000-2000 gallons at a time.

BW, thanks for the post.

ya, thats a little more than we have mixed. If is for myself I would just use a couple 275 gal totes. drop in a trash pump or sump from harbor freight. after one is mixed pump into the large tank. I'm too cheap to spend much on something that does not make money. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by beeware10 View Post
    I'm too cheap to spend much on something that does not make money. good luck
    Beeware, How much are you paying for cane sugar per pound?

In the April ABJ is a picture of Russel Olivarez standing in front of a large sugar mixing tank in their Hawaii operation. No details given so maybe call them and see what they are doing.Let us know..

Hey Keith...check this out. Other than buying a whole truck this may get you close to it without have to build something.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/37...ty_cement.html
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

Thanks Alpha, but I'm looking for something a little bit bigger. The auger system I've heard works really well, I'm thinking the auger size is about 18" x 5' or there abouts.

keith
    last fall we paid .46 cents thinking we would have to feed in sc but the bees we took down were real heavy. will use that when the bees come north. we just got 6 inches of snow so I expect a late spring. it was 14 degrees above this morning. I just saw sugar on sale at a local store for .62 so looks like price is going up.

Some friends of mine in Ga took a large propane tank about 8 feet long and cut the top out of it . They mounted the pulley system from a woodman extractor in the top and welded some paddles on it . They use a home made propane burner to heat it from the bottom . It is cheap to make and they feed about 2400 hives with it.

keith we use a 1000 gal milk tank with the cream paddle in it.
    we can also run the hot water through the cooling tubes it works great it would be mixed in one to two hours.
    One problem is you cant pour the sugar in all at one time or it will drop to the bottom and seize up the paddle. but if you pour in 2-3000lbs in over a 15 min period it will work.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by swarm_trapper View Post
    One problem is you cant pour the sugar in all at one time or it will drop to the bottom and seize up the paddle.
    Nick, that's the reason for the auger set up, I/we want to drop a tote of sugar (2200lb) into the tank and have it keep mixing, I don't want to baby sit the thing.

Keith!!! I found the perfect mixer for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIGGGTnFfE8
    Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid. John Wayne

I seen a nice mixing tank at a beekeeper auction once and I have kicked myself for not buying it. There was an auger that you dumped bagged sugar into that took it up into a big tank. The tank was at least 800 gallons and there was a mixing auger in the bottom of the tank that ran the length of the tank. Hot water was pumped into the tank from above. It was a nice setup.
    Columbia City, Indiana

Keith,
    Why don't you get a power Ice Auger like they use for icefishing?
    I have an older Jiffy gas 3hp with a 8" ice bit and also have a dirt bit for fence post holes.
    I know they have enough torque because when the dirt bit hangs up on a rock its Hang on Sally or your going for a ride!
    How about using water pressure recert from one tank back into itself?
    Seems to me that Jean Marc was talking about that on here some time back!?

for the cost of a mixing system wouldn't it be money ahead to buy liquid sucrose and add water to whatever blend you want?, Or is that way over simplifying things
    Honeydew

Thumbs down Re: Mixing sugar tank

Hi as far as system. I know a commercial guy who is doing about five hundred gallons at a time. Very simply he is using a stainless steel tank with a circulating pump works great. Easy to make any dairy supply place could help you also you can find old dairy tanks there is a used dairy equipment place I can't think of the name but check out the internet.

Kieth,
    How about using a grain or post hole auger that you could modify to your tank.
    Hint: Insert the auger in a well casing + some of your welding.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Mansell View Post
    Some friends of mine in Ga took a large propane tank about 8 feet long and cut the top out of it . They mounted the pulley system from a woodman extractor in the top and welded some paddles on it . They use a home made propane burner to heat it from the bottom . It is cheap to make and they feed about 2400 hives with it.
    Have your friends check into the toxic effects of a propane tank that has been used, and is latter used for something else.
    I know someone that recycle some old gas lines, and used them for irrigation. Later the lines were taped to supply water for animals. The animals were sick and constantly dying from the residue poison at the gas lines.

Lightbulb Re: Mixing sugar tank

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    for the cost of a mixing system wouldn't it be money ahead to buy liquid sucrose Or is that way over simplifying things
    Well HONEYDEW, let me simplify it for you.

Liquid surcrose by the tanker runs about $20,000, ok now..... keep following me here HONEYDEW. I can mix that seem load from a cheap dry source of sugar for $8,000 a load.

So HoneyDew, your math question today is, if I mixed 22 loads in a year how much money did I save?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast