Default Dead bees bearing pollen

I have a suspect that I hope I'm wrong about. I have moved several of my hives to a more rural area,,,,,,,,farms,,,farmettes and the like. I don't find it unusual to see a quantity of dead bees in front of the hive this time of year. I did notice some have pollen still on their legs. Never noticed this at the previous location. Pears and cherries are starting to bloom, plus some ornamentals,,
    Seems funny they got to the hive and didn't make it in to unload the pollen. Pesticide????? Not a lot of bees,,,,,,dozen or so,,,,but on more than one hive.
    Thought appreciated

Default Re: Dead bees bearing pollen

Rick,

Recent move? Could they be getting beaten up trying to re-enter the wrong hives? Would seem strange that they would get poisoned and drop at the door.

Yes,,,,,,3 wks ago +- 10 feet apart up against tall white pine trees in a wind row,,,,,,,I really didn't think is was poison but couldn't think of anything else. Makes sense,

appreciate it
    Rick

Since it's being found on more than one hive, it may be poison. The house bees may not be allowing them in.... Just conjecture... This type of behavior happened many years ago when I believe they was a product of tiny insecticide filled pollen size and colored grains (plastic?) that distributed the insecticide. Bees would return to the hive with the artificial pollen grains mixed with the real pollen, over time the hive would die because the frames were filled with the insecticide. Don't believe the product remained on the market very long. OMTCW

Sounds like you're describing Penncap-M.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I think this is the time of year that farmers are putting pre-emergence down and other pre plant chems. I do not know the chemistry of such things. Some fields are left over winter, so there are lots of things in bloom,,,,mustard, etc.
    Any thoughts on that?
    Thanks

Pre-emergence usually describes herbicides, IMHO. However, just so that you will know what Penncap-M is and what us old timers had to go through in the 80's with our bees, you might read the following link. http://www.jstor.org/pss/25084402 It was and may still be really scary stuff. OMTCW

Look up in the trees around you. Do you see a vine with yellow blossoms on it???? If you do that is Yellow Jasmine and this year it is blooming with a vengence. It is poisonous to honey bees. The poor bees do not know this. Since you are in Maryland, that is still in the range of this plant.TK

I've been working in the woods around my place and have not noticed any yellow vines w/flowers. Doesn't mean they might not be some where else. I googled the plant,,,,it is sold as an ornamental commercially. It is possible someone around has it. I was watching them today,,,,,it is chilly here,,,,low forties but sunny. The girls would come in,,,,miss the landing board, and just hug the cement block the hive is on,,,,,move around a little,,,,,never make it up to go in the hive,,,this is just a few bees, but the behavior is just odd to me. There they stay,,, die,,,,pollen and all. Pollen is a light yellow but jeez, that could be a lotof things. Curious,,,,is the poison a contact, or does it have to be ingested ? couldn't find out.
    Interesting stuff
    Thanks

All jasmine is not created equal.

I think yellow or Carolina jasmine are the same plant and their nectars are deadly to bees.

Star, white or Confederate jasmine is not a true jasmine and I think it is bee safe.

Here is a link about jasmine from around 2 years ago.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225539

Remember, you are not looking for a vine that twines and twists around trees or trellas like grapes or wisteria do, but a part shrub semi vine type plant that depends (leans) on fences or trees for support to reach Sunlight.

There are other plants that can poison bees like Florida ti-ti, or one species of California buckeye.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

When it's cold and the bees are loaded with pollen they are quite heavy and it takes alot of energy for them to get airborne if they are on a flower or tall blade of grass it's ok because they can still take off from a height just like a paraglider or hang glider would do.
    If they miss the landing board they are on the ground and if it's cold they often find it hard to get up and go again.
    It can be helpful if you can have a landing ramp in front of the entrance so if they land short they just have to walk up and in.

We have this problem alot in the early spring because our weather is very changable and can be fine and sunny one minute cold and windy the next.
    Last edited by frazzledfozzle; 03-26-2011 at 11:52 PM.

Forties but sunny, the bees are getting too cold before they make it back home, and dieing on the cold concrete in front of the hive because they haven't the heat or strength to get up again. This is the way I see it. Bees don't read the books that say sixties and sunny to forage.

I did a NOAA weather search for your area:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...ield2=-76.5764

It looks like what Ray M. stated--weather related.

Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I appreciate all the responses,,,,,,,after watching them yesterday,,,,,I considered the temps,,,,,,the location they came from faced west so they have sun on the hives on cool days,,,,,,now they are partly shaded by the pines,,,,they are coming to a cold hive instead of a warm one.
    BTW got three inches of snow and still snowing
    Thanks all
    Rick