Default Fireworks and Bees?

As you can tell by my nic, I love my fireworks! Bees and fireworks, give me the info that I need to know. I know that bees dont have ears but I am betting then can pick up vibrations and of course the smoke. What are the dangers of fireworks around my girls, how far do I need to be away from them? Thanks all!

Default Re: Fireworks and Bees?

I am sure they will enjoy the fireworks

You will need to bee very far from them. I think you need to be in Wisconsin in our neighborhood!
    July 4th work for you??

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Bliss View Post
    You will need to bee very far from them. I think you need to be in Wisconsin in our neighborhood!
    July 4th work for you??
    Litttle busy that day, hmmmm can't remember what exactly I was gonna do but it was something important.

Big Grin Re: Fireworks and Bees?

Do a simple test. It will give you the info you need.

1. Set a small firecracker just inside the entrance. light it and note the bees reaction.
    That is your control!

2. Then set one on the landing board.

3. Then set one on the ground 1 foot away.

4. Keep moving 1 foot away with each firecracker.

5. When the bees stop reacting you have established the correct distance.

Please let us know how the tests go. We are very interested!
    Old Guy in Alabama

In my country we don't do 4th July but we have a different celebration involving fireworks on 5th November.

I've normally had around a dozen hives in the yard & we've always let off fireworks that night with the family, the bees are pretty close no issues. Long as we don't have any outdoor electric lights on to attract them out of the hives.

Should say at that time of year there's a good flow on and the bees are pretty contented.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Sad Re: Fireworks and Bees?

So,...! You're the one that caused all those birds to fall dead from the sky?

1/5/11: > MURRAY, Ky. — "Kentucky wildlife officials say several hundred dead birds were found dead in the western part of the state.
    The grackles, red wing blackbirds, robins and starlings were found last week.
    New Year's Eve fireworks have been blamed for the deaths of thousands of blackbirds in central Arkansas. Another 450 birds died this week in Louisiana, likely after hitting power lines or cars." > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_804952.html

> "Scientists now say that the fireworks appeared to have frightened the birds into such a frenzy that they crashed into homes, cars and each other. Some may have flown straight into the ground." > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sh-ashore.html
    Last edited by Oldbee; 03-26-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbbees View Post
    Do a simple test. It will give you the info you need.

1. Set a small firecracker just inside the entrance.
    Inside? ahhhh no.. I think that I will try to keep my distance as far as I can come this 4th.

So,...! You're the one that caused all those birds to fall dead from the sky?
    Who me? (stinkin birds know now to stay away)

Seriously tho, isnt that the biggest bunch of crapola you have ever heard, fireworks frightened birds and cause them to go crazy, the gov knows what caused those birds to die but it keeping it hush-hush!

I always have a supply of the those artillery shells that are launched in a 1.7" diameter morter. Fourth of July, New Years Eve, kids birthdays, or any other time I feel the need to light up the neighborhood. Luanch site is probably 40 feet from the hives. doesnt seem to bother the bees at all.