Default Clay pigeon thrower: help choosing

Hey all,
    So deer are heavy and I'd love to get into grouse . Nah, still big game hunting but new to shotgunning. And I'm guessing that I'll need to put a lot of shells through it before I get comfortable and natural. SO, I'll mostly be shooting by myself (well really all by myself, friends keep having babies), and I'm torn between a couple different throwers.

One gets good reviews, especially for one-person use:
    Trius one-step
    You just step on a paddle to cock and then release. Sounds odd but there are some YouTube vids that make more sense of it once you watch.

Another is a little more heavy-duty and flexible (different throws, with an extra doodad):
    Do-all outdoors 3/4 trap

The Do-all would need a creative rigging to allow single-person use, but I enjoy a little tool play if it's not too technical, and can envisage a step- pulley like a bass drum foot pedal.

So anyone use either one of these? Have any thoughts for a shotgunning newbie looking to smash some clays solo?
    Last edited by Ben Brewcat; 03-25-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Clay pigeon thrower: help choosing

I have a cheap one that you cock by hand but it is kind of like the first one you listed. The thing throws so hard it comes up out of the ground. Kind of a pain. But I think it could be modified and mounted to some 2x4s or something. I couldn't get the link on your second one to work.

I have a do all full cock. Great trap! Would highly recommend. A 3/4 would be better. I would go with the one step if you could afford it...you can run it yourself.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Go with the heaviest machine possible. Having shot at a few clay pigeons with buddies, light-weight traps topple when throwing, even those set up on spare tires. You can use a loop on the release rope to tie around your ankle for solo practice.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I have a Trius one-step. Not as cool as it sounds. You are in an unnatural positon to shoot because you have to put your wieght on the lever to cock and trip the machine.
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."

I was going to say the same thing as rkr......the best I have used was the do all 3/4 with the wobble attachment thing. it is also really cool because you can slide it into your trailer hitch mount on your truck(at least you can with my buddies model)

and my buddy was late that day so I used the rope around my anckle trick while I was waiting for him.

Do all has an electric trap for about 300.00 If you want to get real good use a hand thrower, throw it yourself and then pick up the shotgun and shoot The hand thrower will cost about 9.99
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Don't you folks know what grandchildren are for?

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Don't you folks know what grandchildren are for?
    arent clays cheaper???
    Honeydew

Just change out all the ashtrays/candy dishes in the house with clays. Tell your wife how much you really spent on your bees this year. Run out the back door sidestep right or left ( which ever is your best shooting side ) and enjoy.
    P.S. Not recomended for city folk.
    John Hargrave Northwest Missouri

i really recommend the trius one step.. it is affordable and had a very good reviews at amazon.. or you can look at a comparison chart of clay pigeon throwers here : http://claypigeonthrower.org

We have a do all full cock I got a the church yard sale a few years ago. I mounted it to a 2" piece of tubular steel so it fits in the traier hit hand I can sit on the tailgate. My brother in law bought a champion electric thrower for around 300. It's awesome. We also got a remote. Now we use mine to throw stackable s and the minis and his foe regulars. The champion thrower throws the champion branded clays much better than the white flyers.