Default Found three white pupa or larva on my ledg

Found three almost fully developed pupa on hive ledge they all had eyes formed. And two were still white with dark eyes. And the other was dark enough to see its strips. This is not chalkbrood they are not mummified. The temperature has been in the fifty's and sixty's until a tornado came thrue just missing my place. And now the temperature is back in the twinty's and thirty's. Wondering if this could be chilled brood. Did a mite check the other day no mites. Also they looked large enough to be drones. It is too cold to look in the hive now. Can someone tell me is this normal. Also no sign of nosema.

Default Re: Found three white pupa or larva on my ledg

No worries, most likely chilled brood. No need to get concerned until you start seeing 1000s
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Very likely chilled brood, and quite normal. Treat for your birds .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Can pupa be used for fish bait? This is a serious question. What about fresh dead adult bees? Anyone try this?

Sure; I've heard of drone pupae for bluegills. Pretty labor intensive to harvest though inn any meaningful quantity, and they're on the soft side so cast gently . Never tried dead bees, but I'd be skeptical.

Waxies, OTOH, are something I've always wanted to try since getting into beekeeping. Many fond memories of the ice shanty with a tin of waxies and the perch and bluegills piling up .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    ... Many fond memories of ...the perch and bluegills piling up [fishing with larva]...
    Yes, as a young blade, I made a summer ritual out of capturing every paper wasp nest in the neighborhood.

The good thing about wasp nests was that you can "store" the wasp nests in orange or onion sack netting, hang the sack up on a nail, and your newly hatched "nurse" wasp will keep the nests going until your next fishing trip.

Just make sure the nail is headless so that a 14-foot cane pole and a quick flick of the wrist can retrieve your "sack o wasps" fishing bait without you getting nailed by the newly hatched wasps. To me larva always seemed to work better than pupa.

A 3-pound farm pond bass was my best catch using wasp larva, and I am sure bee larva will catch fish as well as wasp larva did. I would have to say however that baiting you hook with a wax moth worm like Ben Brewcat mentioned would be more fulfilling on the emotional level.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.