Hybrid View

Default Buckfast / Italian cross

I'm reading comments online that Buckfast crossed with Italians get especially hot. Does that seem true still? Anyone with recent experience? Is it still a bee not recommended for beginners?
    Last edited by Seymore; 03-24-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Addendum
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

Default Re: Buckfast / Italian cross

Buckfast crossed with Italians is not a problem from my supplier. Perhaps there is something else in the mix too.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I have no experience with Buckfast.

But have read that they are a great bee, until they do a supersedure or swarm.
    Then they 'can' get hot. This is only what I have read HERE. Do a search and read.

If you are wanting to raise you own queen they may be a questionable choice.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I started with Buckfasts and they were feisty little buggers. Subsequently, I bought out an oldtimer that had Italians. I never requeen and let the girls figure that out on their own. I have done splits and combines, so now I pretty much have Buckfast/Italian mutts. They are sweet as the honey they make; hardly need smoking during a good nectar flow. The only time they give me any trouble is during the dearth and should one become queenless.

I've currently got Italians, and they seem hot to me. When I read those comments about a Buckfast cross, that was of concern, since I've got Buckfast coming. I don't want anything that might increase the heat of these girls! I guess it's just a crapshoot, eh? I know these Italians have built up super strong from nothing, and I know that's a good sign. Im thinking "Yay bees!" So I can deal with their "heat" if it correlates to their strength and survivability. I would like to avoid hotter tho.

Tia, how long ago did you buy yours?
    Zone 7b ~ Central Arkansas
    8fr medium equipment

I've got a package coming with an Italian queen mated (supposedly) with Buckfast, Carni, and Russian drones. Hope they're well disposed.