Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: top entrance under honey supers

I use the same shims that are made for the solid bottom board. I attach them to the bottom of the first super. I did not notice a great deal of burr comb.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Maybe I missed something but...

Sliding the bottom honey super back to make an opening sounds like a good idea, but what about when it rains? is it expected that a telescoping cover will be wide enough so that water doesnt drop into the hive?

The little bit of rain that might get in such a small crack is negligible. This is standard managment practice for cooling a big colony of bees during warm weather that is involved in honey production. It also provides the bees with an upper entrance. We have flat migratory lids. TK

I support Ted, I have not seen any problems with the little rain that does run in.
    The entrances are closed down in the late summer as the hive populations also drop.

Crazy Roland

same as Roland and Ted this is how we run our hives on honey also.

frazz

I am using the Imirie shims, and have some comb built out of place. I made the mistake of putting one shim between my two brood boxes and the other one between the top brood box and super. I think I should have only used one between the top brood box and super. They have build comb and are rearing brood in it in that space on the bottom of alot of the frames. I picked that box off to look in the one under it, and smashed babies!! Didnt want to do that, and then wondered where my queen was. I didn't see her, but sometimes I dont. I am sure you have noticed I am new to beekeeping. I think the shim is a good idea for putting between the brood box and supers.

Shims are just another unnecessary piece of equipment to lug around. Personally, I do not like all that brace and burr comb that will be placed in the extra space by the bees created by the shim. TK

Check out Joseph Clemens configuration in his reply to this thread http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252194
    Topdog17

Hi,

As per the original post, If I'm not mistaken, about the efficiency factor, if I understand correctly, foragers do not directly put nectar in the cells. It gets handed off to the homies and they put it in a cells.

If this is fact, then I can't see how a top entrance would help with efficiency.

MP

Far quicker for a worker to enter straight into the honey box and pass it off to a "homie" up there than to enter at the bottom pass it to the "homie" and then the "homie" having to navigate it's way up through the hive then squeeze thru an excluder, if you run them, and finally into the honey box.

Another reason is it stops the bottleneck at the bottom entrance to the hive especially if it's a strong hive on a good flow.

Also it provides good ventilation, far better to have your bees collecting and processing nectar into honey than have them all hanging out on the front of the hive fanning to keep it at the right temperature.

frazz

Top dog, you can do the same thing just by sliding back a half inch the honey supers above the brood chambers as stated earlier in the thread. TK

Frazz,

Humm, good point. I wonder if anyone knows how this relation is established, i.e. the number of homies taking nectar in the brood boxes vs the supers.

I wonder however, most "dances" seem to occur in the brood chamber for forager direction, or are they happening just as much in the supers and I am just not aware of it? Just seems to me that foragers don't hang out in the supers, but I have not done top entrances so I don't exactly know if they start to hang out up there.

I suppose the homies move up there to festoon and wax and there numbers might be large enough.

I guess a simple test is an observation. If you have an upper entrance, or move the supers back a half inch, do most of the returning foragers go in and up?

MP

Oh one last thing, does sliding back the supers for top entrance promote robbing in anybody's experience? Ya know, more of a direct access to the honey stores that would normally not necessarily be there?

Thanks,

MP

As the summer progresses into fall, as you remove supers for extraction, the upper entrance disappears also( we set back all supers). Yes, when the flow is over ,things must be sealed up again. Be aware that it is the commercial people that are suggesting this, and we may have allot more bees in our hives than you do.

Crazy Roland

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12