Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default top entrance under honey supers

I would like to know if using a shim w/entrance installed under the honey supers during the main flow is good or not? would it allow for robbing? I use all bottom entrances but if adding a top would help I'll fire up the table saw and build a couple to try.

Default Re: top entrance under honey supers

I have heard (can't remember where) That it makes nectar collection more efficient as they don't have to go through the brood to deposit the nectar.
    I'm setting up my 2 new hives with only top entrances to see how it works.

I had openings every second box..no sweat if the colony is strong...they'll keep it safe.....besides, it'll provide greater ventilation which will give your bees help while getting the water content down in those cells for capping....AND....it relieves congestion to help with overcrowding/swarming. If for any reason their strength declines and there are no guards watching those entrances for a period of time, close 'em up, otherwise wax moth are gonna have a red carpet entrance!!

goto www.bushfarms.com

read top entrances.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Keep in mind any extra beespace will probably get burr comb built in it. I am aiming to cut out a section of the bottom/front of my supers I"L X 3/8" high.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

I modeled the Jerry Hayes' configuration as a starting point. However, I added a slatted (parallel to frames) bottom rack and did not block the bottom entrance nor install a drone escape. http://www.beesource.com/point-of-vi...oney-excluder/
    My two hives both built up the bottom deep brood boxes nicely, top to bottom and side to side. The broodnest extended all of the way to the bottom of the innermost frames, credit the slatted rack? I stapled the 3/8" slats to the bottom of the first medium supers when I set them up above the queen excluder. It took the bees a couple of weeks to get the idea of using the upper entrance. They drew out two supers each from foundation and I collected about four gallons of honey total. Of course the broodnest stayed below the excluder the entire season.
    In the winter the hives are reduced back down to two deep brood boxes for overwintering. With my inexperience in beekeeping and as a hobbiest I believe the system has worked well.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

When they are boiling with bees, I would just offset the super above the hive bodies enought that it left a quarter inch or better gap front and back. Never seemed to do any harm and it gave them a place to beard up away from the skunks

Read up on George Imirie's shim.

Quote Originally Posted by David W. View Post
    I would like to know if using a shim w/entrance installed under the honey supers during the main flow is good or not?
    I have considered going to middle entrances during the honey flow, and then replacing with a top entrances after the honey supers are removed. I have both top and bottom entrances. I find that there is less disruption of the colony from bottom entrances when checking and/or removing supers. With top entrances the guards are at the top of the colony. My hope is that going to middle entrances during the honey flow will reduce this problem.

would it allow for robbing?
    Generally, robbing is not a major problem during a major nectar flow. If populations are high and the flow strong it should not be a problem. During a flow I often stagger honey supers to allow for more rapid evaporation of nectar and have never had a problem during a good flow with robbing. When the flow ebbs, then I square them back up.

I'll fire up the table saw and build a couple to try.
    Fire it up. One of the most rewarding parts of beekeeping is experimenting with new ideas. You learn much from personal experience which is worth a lot more than someone else's biased opinion.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

A friend of mine drilled 3 -4 holes in the upper part of his top boxes for venting,He plugs them off for winter.He only has one hive so can't tell if it's better or not. Would this be better than using a shim? He also doesn't use sbb but I do on all mine.

I dont understand why you would want to reinvent the wheel.....Just slip your honey super that sits on top on your top brood chamber back one inch.....Instant top entrance. This is standard practice among commercial beekeepers. No extra equipment required. TK

I used to use Imrie shims between every couple of honey supers in the old days when I could stack 'em up--before SHB!

Do you feel the need to limit your stack height now, because of SHB? If so what amount of super height has been most practical in your opinion?

I absolutely do. Last year I kept it to only 2 supers per hive. When those supers were full and capped, they'd come off and be harvested immediately. It was a pain harvesting numerous times but after having 2 supers slimed, I don't want to see that again. This year is looking a little more promising since the hives seem to be much stronger, and my chickens are doing a fine job of cleaning up beetles and larva from the ground around the hives. I alternate their cleanup with beetle eaters in the honey supers and either west or freeman traps under the SBB. So far I've seen only 4 SHB in one hive and the bees are right on top of them, chasing them all over the place.

Good info......thank you for sharing the experience.....I am going to be utilizing Freeman BBs for the first time this season....we just finished painting them.

IMHO Freemans are the best. Wish I'd known that to begin with!

Sad Re: top entrance under honey supers

Although I'm not looking forward to changing that oil pan.....I'm sure it's going to smell bad in the Summer heat!!

Not too bad if you use FGMO. Vegetable oil I would change every 2 weeks

Set the supers back as VAnce and Ted stated, one bees space is enough. No need for another piece of woodenware. The setback also gives a spot to start your hive tool in when removing super. In the peak of summer, the telescoping roof gets set back flush with the edge of the super.

Crazy Roland
    Last edited by Roland; 03-26-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: it neeeded it

Brushy Mtn. offers just that same type of shim for sale in there catalog!