Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I Think I Am Catching 1st Bees

Thanks. I'm headed out to fetch em in about an hour.

Should I set them on a stand and remove the screen off the entrance tonight or keep them penned up for the night?

Well,

I guess I'll get the ladder and take down the three traps I have hanging in trees around the property. Make them more accessible instead of having to fight the underbrush with a 8 ft ladder. I'll also move the three baited hive bodies I set up, higher, on top of some saw horses.

Next question is how often should the LGO be replenished? I soaked a q tip in the oil and taped it on top of the frames.

Someone on an unrelated forum mentioned spraying the trap with Lemon Pledge. Have you heard of such a thing? How about spraying the general area with the pledge?

Al

I believe the use of Lemon Pledge is if LGO is unavailable. I use 5 or 6 drops of LGO on a cotton swab on top of the frames plus a few drops directly on the black comb. Replenish every two weeks.

OK, bees are buzzing and sitting on the tailgate of my truck at home now. My thoughts are to set them on a stand at the location i intend to keep them and pull the screen off. I was thinking about pulling the cover off and adding a top feeder, since the trap is a 10 frame deep. I don't want to leave them in it for an extended amount of time but until they are adjusted to the new landscape. The swich out the trap for a hive body in the same location. Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Risky Beesness View Post
    OK, bees are buzzing and sitting on the tailgate of my truck at home now. My thoughts are to set them on a stand at the location i intend to keep them and pull the screen off. I was thinking about pulling the cover off and adding a top feeder,
    Only a brave one works bees at night.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-26-2011 at 09:45 AM. Reason: personal attack

I had no intentions of working them at night. I left them sitting and will try to figure out what to do with them today.
    Last edited by Risky Beesness; 03-26-2011 at 07:31 AM.

I would place it in the location you want to put the hive and leave them in the trap for a week or so, let them get good and used to the new location before disturbing them.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

That's good. I did that this AM. I placed a tree branch in front of the entrance. They seemed pretty confused when I released them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12