Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: How much Honey is in your Honey?

My kitchen works just fine for extracting.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Thats great NP, but I would have to rip down the walls to just get the extractor in, let alone the rest. By the way, I believe you are in the city. Would you be interested in any prime yard locations just outside town? Not sure if your interested in expanding. If so, pm me, and I will help you out.

I will be in MS next week and AL the following, but will get back with you if interested.

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

I wonder...

Has anyone ever done any cultures on honey products? Honey is a unique food substance that doesn't spoil easily. The hive itself is not aseptic so contaminates are getting into the honey all the while the comb is being filled. Any other food we eat starts decomposing the minute it is picked or slaughtered. It would be interesting to have cultures done from honey processed in one of these spanking clean houses and some done of someones kitchen to compare.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I will send you a sample in June when we start extracting. TED

My bees had diarrhea and I tried to make them feel better.
    Everyone has their own justification for what they are doing. Sometimes it is emotional and sometimes it is financial. The question or the concern is how far do you take it. It has become standard practice now for livestock to be feed antibiotics from birth knowing they will get sick in the future if you don’t give it to them. You consume these antibiotics practically from birth because you are eating these livestock products. The more you consume the less effective the antibiotic becomes for the germs that you are trying to control. The end result is the antibiotic doesn’t work anymore. So the next question becomes is this a good practice in the long run?

Is it better to let the livestock build up their own immunities to germs and destroy the ones that can’t battle the germs on their own? You are obviously not going to do that with your own kids. However if you start off with a regiment of “war” on germs from birth the same thing will happen because your children have not built up any immunities to anything. You are seeing this right now. Allergists are making a killing because kids today are allergic to everything. Their immune system is totally messed up due to the “war” on germs and chemically treating for everything. So are we thinking short term or long term when it comes to treatments, bees and honey included?

I would rather beeks police themselves to a high standard then have the govt. keeping things in check.
    People have the same view in other hobbies like model aircraft. “Police themselves” is pretty much a pipe dream. That is exactly the same thing as do what ever you want. Which most people like at first until something goes wrong.
    Brian Cardinal

Myself and a great many cattle producers take great offense to this type of propoganda. Spouted off by people with little facts to back it up. As do sheep, pigs, goats, and what ever else have you.

It has become standard practice now for livestock to be feed antibiotics from birth knowing they will get sick in the future if you don’t give it to them. You consume these antibiotics practically from birth because you are eating these livestock products. The more you consume the less effective the antibiotic becomes for the germs that you are trying to control. The end result is the antibiotic doesn’t work anymore. So the next question becomes is this a good practice in the long run?

MIght want to try and get real facts from real producers instead of PETA propoganda

If i could quote ther whole post, I would. I would refute every last word. But that would be like beating a dead horse. Maybe those who believe what they read might want to actually visit some producers from each type of livestock group and see what really goes on.

My farm is open...how about yours?

Honey shack, I have taken great offense to this propaganda also. BUT it is not PETA propaganda. Peta is people for ethical treatment of animals.......these people would rather stand back and be CRUEL to another living creature on the planet thus they do not even make it to PETA standards. This is the reason why.. They, like ourselves, have chosen stewardship over another living creature--honeybees. With stewardship comes GREAT responsibility. They would rather see the bees die before their eyes due to mites or disease, when a little bit of treatment, just a few cents worth, would have saved their bees. SOMETHING that is VITAL AND PRECIOUS to the planet. So WHAT IS MY HONEY---HONEY!!! WHAT IS MY BEEHIVES---HEALTHY COLONIES OF BEES...My farm is like honey shacks--open for visiting. SO I WANT TO KNOW " WHAT IS IN YOUR WALLET" I will defend commercial beekeeping and commercial practices, it is where you people buy your bees from...COMMERCIAL BEEKEEPERS TED

Sorry to all I offended. This appears to be a hornets nest that I have stepped into. Those interested can get informed and make up their own minds on what is happening and why. I don't own a farm, I am not a commercial beek, I am not even a successful hobbyist and I did not intend to instill a riot.
    Last edited by Acebird; 03-26-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    Brian Cardinal

Most people are third and fourth generations removed from the farm lifestyle and what it all intails. And the truths that come with it.

Mass media hones in on the bad apple in each industry and propogates it until the mainstream public believes all farm operations are like this.

Peta, humane society (hard core), Ophra, hard core vegans, those who oppose the use of meat or production from meat are doing everything in there power ( and they all are very powerful) to reduce us to shreds. They have humanized animals to the point we give the animals human like traites and asperations (sp).
    We the farming populations in North America are loosing ground to this. So many forget where the food comes from. To them is comes in a box or carton or frozen. The disconnect has hurt the back bone of our countries. Hurt our countries so much that we cannot produce enough for our own people and now import from countries with poorer standards than our own.
    Soon, maybe not in my generation, but soon, famers in North America will be a memory. Our honey will come from overseas, our grains from cheaper producing countries and our beef and meat from brazil. A country who cannot feed their people are at the mercy of the world.
    Check out this forum...Cattle today. A great many cattle producers from around the world. Read and you will see what i see. A great many people who love what they do. Take pride in their livestock and land. Men and women whose one goal is to have healthy animals to feed their country.

Those who believe what Acebird wrote previously, get out and meet some local farmers, commercial and such. See how much they care for their livestock....after all it is their paycheck and how they feed their family.

Listen to their stories. See how they treat their animals. See how much they are stewards of their land. Get connected. Realize how hard they work to put food on YOUR table. And then note how many have off farm jobs to put food on their tables.
    Last edited by Barry; 03-27-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: quoting

Acebird, you may have offended, but no one took offence. No worries.

My place is open for you to visit also. Find out first hand what the mindset of a commercial beekeeper is. Then compare it to what you have been told. When the two do not agree, go back and look for a motive for those that told you otherwise to cloud your thinking. What you are hearing here is first hand, from the source.

HAve there ever been any studies done that support your statements about human life span and health being effected by antibiotic residue? Do people in areas that antibiotic are not used live longer?

There is much antidotal evidence that beekeeping increases life spans. My father is 89.

Roland Diehnelt
    Linden Apiary, Est. 1852
    5th gen commercial, working with son Christian, 6th gen

No Ace, a hornets nest you created by making generalized statements from reading a bunch of crap published by folks with an agenda. So whats in your honey? Since you brought it up, Whats in your meat?

You state you have never been a farmer or a Commercial beek, yet you judge others based on NO experience. You should take up offers from those that will allow you to come visit. See first hand and then share what you witnessed.

I can truly say, I know whats in my meat. I know the farmer who raises the cattle. I talk to him and visit anytime I wish. Its a relationship. I can't have that relationship at Walmart. If you would look around, there's a huge movement afoot bridging the producer-consumer gap. Its called sustainable local foods.

I am concerned that some groups are oversimplifying this choice and trying to create consumer misconceptions about one segment of the food producing population or another.

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

ACE, you have stated you are not even a SUCCESSFUL hobbyist. Well, we the people that have posted back in defense of Commercial beekeeping would like to change that. We would like to make you successful. Any of these guys that wrote you back would be more than willing to take you and show you beekeeping on a commercial scale. You will learn MORE about beekeeping in a day or two working with large numbers of colonies then you will learn in years working small numbers of colonies of yours and your friends. You are always welcome here at my farm, because I do train beekeepers. They come here to get certified that they worked with a commercial beekeeper for a week so they can become master beekeepers-- Alabama requirement, master beekeeper program. Something to remember, we the commercial people are lifers at this business, we must be pretty good beeks to still be at it. As we have survived every pestilence that has been thrown at us. Look at Roland-6 generations into it. Most commercial beekeeping operations do not survive the three generational curse. Ace, get educated, go work with a commercail beek for a couple of days. TK

Ace, please stick around and listen to ALL sides of what arguments/discussions happen on beesource.com. We can learn from each other. Some of us learn what others believe and others learn what some of us know.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Ace, please stick around and listen to ALL sides of what arguments/discussions happen on beesource.com. We can learn from each other.
    I’ll stick around but what am I going to learn if a newbee has to walk on eggshells?

I don’t think I said anything that isn’t well spoken about today. People are concerned about what is in their beef, what is in their pork, what is in their chicken, what is in their green leafy vegetables, and what is in their honey that wasn’t there before. When I grew up nobody was concerned about what was in his or her food, today that is not the case. If you are a farmer or a commercial beek and you are not part of this problem then why the huge reaction? Today people will flock to you if you got nothing to hide.

My wife was a vegetarian for over 30 years and now she is so scared that she now eats meat! Meat that is pasture raised from people that are local and we personally know. She first started with venison because what could be more natural. She was pretty sure it wasn’t feed antibiotics, ever. We grow as much as we can of our own vegetables and raise chickens. We can even tell the difference between super market Organic eggs and our own. We are fumbling around trying to lean how to be successful hobby beeks yet in doing so those that have done it for many years said to our face that ours taste better than theirs. To me that was quite a complement. Was it a fluke? I guess we will hope for the best and see next season.
    Brian Cardinal

None of the commercial beeks that have posted have nothing to hide. Go and visit a commercial beek and spend a day with him. You will learn. I am always amazed at how hobbyist want to criticize commerical beekeepers but they are unwilling to go see for themselves how beekeeping is done on a large scale. It is almost like they are scared to have their eyes opened. TK

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    I’ll stick around but what am I going to learn if a newbee has to walk on eggshells?
    Don't stop being yourself. Keep asking your questions. Glean what you can from what you read here. People invested in lifestyles, occupations, vocations, family traditions, and othewr ways are just as passionate about what is being atlked about here as what others talk about other places. As far as I'm concerned, you are welcome to ask questions and state your pov. Just be prepared for the reactions. It's all goood. As they say.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Acebird - I do not think anyone offended you, or reacted in an offensive matter, no need to be walking on egg shells.

Do you really want to go back to the way it was 30 years ago??? What they don't tell you was that many hives had AFB, and that sulfa drugs where used quite a bit, as well as cyanide. I can remember the warning as a small child "Son, see that small can under the seat , DO NOT PLAY WITH THAT!!!". Do you think cyanide left residues?

Todays standards are much higher.

No one talked about what went on 30 years ago.

So when will you stop by?

Roland Diehnelt
    Linden Apairy, Est. 1852

So when will you stop by?
    I would love to stop by but my wife is not much for traveling in a car and the airlines today are torture. My wife has an obligation to the business she runs and we are hostage to the micro farm that we live on. It is a major deal to get away for a week or two. I think most small time farmers would understand this predicament.

Todays standards are much higher.
    Yes, and you can be sure that those standards didn't come about by people policing themselves.
    Brian Cardinal

Ace, Mark aka SQKCRK is a commercial beekeeper/fellow New Yorker like yourself and lives in Brasher Falls, NY. I am sure he would let you spend a day with him to learn. He must be within just a few hours driving distance. TK

Yes, and you can be sure that those standards didn't come about by people policing themselves.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I believe it was the testing methods that improved the standards. You can not set a standard for something you do not have equipment to measure.

Roland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast