Hybrid View

Default When to put out Mason and Bumble houses?

I am thinking that I read Mason bees begin looking for houses in mid March but is that everywhere in the world?

We have temps here (Michigan) in the teens at night still and snow during the day.

Do I wait until I see bees on flowers or is that too late?

Will

Default Re: When to put out Mason and Bumble houses?

Hi....exciting!
    Mason bees will normally emerge from their winter cocoons around the time of fruit tree blooms- that varies with the region of course. If you get your boxes set up before the fruit trees in your area bloom, you will be ok.
    I've read they will also emerge after experiencing 3 consecutive days of 50F or higher.

I put up my mason boxes last week during a warm spell, but I don't expect any bees to be active yet. We too are having another cold spell- highs in the 40's, nightime lows in the teens and twenties. Nothing blooming here yet either.
    It's still way too early for the native bees to be active or nesting.
    Last year I put up my nesting boxes on March 18th, but my mason cocoons didn't start hatching til April 2nd.
    One thing to remember- the males will hatch first, but some of the later females may take as long as another two weeks to emerge- don't toss them away accidentally thinking they are no good!
    Last edited by Omie; 03-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

When I got my mason bees, I just stuck them outside (January) and waited for nature to do its course. They woke up on their own when the time was right.

This is my first year with them so I have none to place outside. Should I put my bee houses out now? We might get some snow but I don't think that will matter as they are rain proof.

Sure, put the houses up. A little snow and rain won't hurt them, and you'll be ready for when any early bees come snooping around looking for nesting spots.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Just North of the U.S. Border here in White Rock BC the temperature reached +17C today and 5% of my Mason Bees emerged. Just one day later then they started emerging last year. It's my experience that the rest of them will emerge now over about 3-4 weeks. With the first females emerging probably next week sometime. Dandelions and several other flowers are out in full force. The Cherry tree blooms look like they will open any day along with the Pear tree. Apple looks a week or two out yet, but very excited my 3rd year of Mason Bees has now begun today