Default Mississippi does it again....

For three years straight, the state of Mississippi has recorded the highest honey production average in the nation. Are there just better beekeepers and bees in Mississippi??? Is the rich delta soil the reason??? Maybe it is the plants???? Even North Dakota with its reputation as a honey production state was second best this past year with an average of 91 pounds per hive..... What do you think is Mississippi secrete to high honey yeilds??? TK

Default Re: Mississippi does it again....

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Kretschmann View Post
    What do you think is Mississippi secrete to high honey yeilds??? TK
    Looking out my window, pondering the question, it occured to me that it probably isn't snowing in Mississippi. Congratulations to The Magnolia State, (BTW, is there much of a nectar flow from Magnolias?)

Wayne

Good question Ted. Perhaps if I open a couple yards on the west side, I can sneak over and see whats going on. Course we have to sneak our hives back. Maybe Russell will chime in.
    Stonefly7

Ted that sounds pretty attractive; would you mind much if I brought some bees down your way? Could you help me find some good locations in your area?

I don't know, what does a bee business for sale tell us?
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    I don't know, what does a bee business for sale tell us?
    It looks like he is too old to work the business. So I guess you would have to look at it as just the assets for 120,000+.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Tom, there is that operation in Pasgagoula for sale, check out the link. Or if you are dead set on Alabama, I would recommend the west side of the state. Get with Stonefly for more details. Lots of limey prairie land with deep rich black soils. Really grows the clover. This same belt runs into Mississippi. Stonefly, When I was moving bees into Cali for pollination, people in Alabama wanted to run me out of my own state-Alabama. They kept saying "why don't you move to Mississippi". Well, having spent my childhood in Vicksburg, Mississippi, maybe I should have taken them up on their offer. But that is neither here nor there. I have been following Mississippi honey production for sometime now, the course of many years. We have the same plants here in Alabama, but Mississippi consistantly leads the nation in the national average for honey production per colony. Those boys and girls over there are doing something RIGHT!!!!! Must be that top secret stock Russell is supplying the rest of the beekeepers in Mississppi. They consistantly are averaging at 100 pounds per colony over the years. Richard Adee knows a good thing when he sees one, that is why his breeding unit has been in Mississippi for years!! TK

He states they don't have Varroa mites?

Doesn't make it so!
    Regards, Barry

Doesn't make it so!
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Doesn't make it so!
    Yeah, I realized that.

If he's willing to drop his price $50K for the first mite found it could be a useful investment of 5 minutes....

Those boys and girls over there are doing something RIGHT!!!!! Must be that top secret stock Russell is supplying the rest of the beekeepers in Mississppi. They consistantly are averaging at 100 pounds per colony over the years. Richard Adee knows a good thing when he sees one, that is why his breeding unit has been in Mississippi for years!!
    Why don't we just move those bees over here to Alabama? Oh wait! We can't do that (legally), I am so forgetful of things.
    "...the most populous colonies ...are provided by queens ...in the year following their birth." Brother Adam

Who did the counting?? the Mississippi state beeks assoc. ??
    Honeydew

They consistantly are averaging at 100 pounds per colony over the years.
    These USDA honey reports are very misleading. The Vermont average is always down around 60 or 70. My long term average is 100. It really depends who they survey and the ability of the beekeepers in your state. Vermont is mostly hobby beekeepers who have a tough time producing surplus honey and keeping their bees alive. If they surveyed the few commercials here in the state, the production average would go way up.