Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Feeding packages

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  indypartridge 
#1 ·
Which way should I feed my hives when I put my packages in with top feeders or with entrance feeder? And Why?
Thanks

#2 ·
I saw that someone posted this question last week and some of the answers were that top feeders were the best because everything starts at the top or something like that. They also said that entrance feeders were not the best so I pitched the 3 new ones that I had in a box and went to tractor supply and picked up 4 quail feeders here : http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...equipment/1-quart-screw-on-quail-base-2167159

Newbee here so take what I say....very lightly.....

#4 ·
If you haven't bought any feeders yet, I'd recommend top feeders because 1) they hold more syrup and 2) easier to re-fill without disturbing bees.

fish_stix said:
Entrance feeders are a good way to get robbing started
In my experience, with just a few backyard colonies, it's not a problem. Especially if you're just starting out with a couple hives and both have entrance feeders, then it's not likely you'll have any problems. For Newbees, it's kinda cool to go out everyday and see at a glance how much syrup the bees have taken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.