Default Feeding packages

Which way should I feed my hives when I put my packages in with top feeders or with entrance feeder? And Why?
    Thanks

Default Re: Feeding packages

I saw that someone posted this question last week and some of the answers were that top feeders were the best because everything starts at the top or something like that. They also said that entrance feeders were not the best so I pitched the 3 new ones that I had in a box and went to tractor supply and picked up 4 quail feeders here : http://www.tractorsupply.com/livesto...l-base-2167159

Newbee here so take what I say....very lightly.....

Entrance feeders are a good way to get robbing started, unless...... you put the feeder inside an empty deep box on top of the hive, then the inner cover, if used, and the lid. Same with bucket feeders if you don't have holes in the lids.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellva View Post
    Which way should I feed my hives when I put my packages in with top feeders or with entrance feeder? And Why?
    Thanks
    If you haven't bought any feeders yet, I'd recommend top feeders because 1) they hold more syrup and 2) easier to re-fill without disturbing bees.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix
    Entrance feeders are a good way to get robbing started
    In my experience, with just a few backyard colonies, it's not a problem. Especially if you're just starting out with a couple hives and both have entrance feeders, then it's not likely you'll have any problems. For Newbees, it's kinda cool to go out everyday and see at a glance how much syrup the bees have taken.