Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

3 mediums bulging with bees

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Tia 
#1 ·
Two hives I started last spring, overwintered in 3 medfed dry sugar on top of inner cover most of winter.iums. Opened both up today,all 3 mediums packed with bees.My question,Is this the right time to split them.Good brood,pollen and sugar syrup capped. Fed dry sugar on top of inner cover most of winter I intend on letting the bees live in the 3 mediums. But I would like to expand my apiary.Thank you in advance for any insight, Ken

#4 ·
Throttlebender,I ordered 2 packs thru swoba. I believe the bees came from Parsons in ohio.I did not treat other than used screened bottom board with oil pan under.I learned the hard way about storing wintered supers. Wrapped in plastic bags and kept in garage. Had some moth damage on 3 frames.As I have learned, I was very lucky.There was'nt more.

#6 ·
I store honey frames in a chest freezer. These are frames that i will only feed back to them. No wax moth problems with freezing! My intention is to feed these frames to new packages for a faster start along with drawn comb, which i also store in freezers to prevent same. Queens ready makes things go faster, otherwise your waiting for queens to hatch, fly out for mateing and return SAFELY!

#9 ·
Ken,
It might be a little early for you to split yet. I can't say for sure about your part of Ohio, but in our area the girls have only been flying for about a week, and we have no drones yet. The only thing the bees are working here is maples, and that has only been since the 17th.
Last year we didn't have a good drone population until close to May.
First swarm last year was May 9th. and we seem to be about a week behind from last year.

Congratulation on overwintering so well, and good luck with your bees!
Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.