Default 3 mediums bulging with bees

Two hives I started last spring, overwintered in 3 medfed dry sugar on top of inner cover most of winter.iums. Opened both up today,all 3 mediums packed with bees.My question,Is this the right time to split them.Good brood,pollen and sugar syrup capped. Fed dry sugar on top of inner cover most of winter I intend on letting the bees live in the 3 mediums. But I would like to expand my apiary.Thank you in advance for any insight, Ken

Default Re: 3 mediums bulging with bees

Congratulations! Where did you get your bees originally and did you treat in any way last year?

Why not? if the weather is mild enough and the hive is active enough I would do it. It is likely more dangerous to wait too long than start too early. Maybe transition them to deeps, though.

Throttlebender,I ordered 2 packs thru swoba. I believe the bees came from Parsons in ohio.I did not treat other than used screened bottom board with oil pan under.I learned the hard way about storing wintered supers. Wrapped in plastic bags and kept in garage. Had some moth damage on 3 frames.As I have learned, I was very lucky.There was'nt more.

Now on this splitting thing. I will want to find queen and move her with some brood and honey frames. At that point will the old hive make a new queen. Or should I have queens ready?

I store honey frames in a chest freezer. These are frames that i will only feed back to them. No wax moth problems with freezing! My intention is to feed these frames to new packages for a faster start along with drawn comb, which i also store in freezers to prevent same. Queens ready makes things go faster, otherwise your waiting for queens to hatch, fly out for mateing and return SAFELY!

So Mike, If I took some of the sugar syrup frames off the existing Hives and replaced with frames of foundation, I could use the sugar frames to start my new hives?

Ken, do you have a good amount of drones flying up there yet? You are going to want to make sure that the drones have been out in good force and have time to mature before any emergency queens are made in the splits. After all, the queens can only do their job if they are well mated.

Ken,
    It might be a little early for you to split yet. I can't say for sure about your part of Ohio, but in our area the girls have only been flying for about a week, and we have no drones yet. The only thing the bees are working here is maples, and that has only been since the 17th.
    Last year we didn't have a good drone population until close to May.
    First swarm last year was May 9th. and we seem to be about a week behind from last year.

Congratulation on overwintering so well, and good luck with your bees!
    Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

I say, look for queen cells. If they are present...split.

Well I didn't see any queen cells today when I opened the hives. I did see plenty of capped drone cells.But am not seeing any drones yet.

If there is a LOT of capped drone brood, and enough bees to cover them, I say split before they swarm. I don't know about where you are, but Spring came on like a freight train here and our bees got an early start

I would add boxes and split when you see drones flying.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Amen, Foleybees.