Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 8 and 10 Frame Spacers

Hi All!

Was wondering about frame spacers—all of the ones on the Brushy Mountain website are for 10-frame hives, but they have them in 7,8, and 9 frame varieties. Is it possible to use a 7 frame spacer that is typically used in a 10 frame hive for an 8 frame?

Thanks!
    "Here's to the crazy ones" — Steve Jobs (1955 – 2011)
    Think Different

Default Re: 8 and 10 Frame Spacers

You could probably use any of them after trimming them down to the width of an 8-frame super.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

All the folks that I know that bought them hated them. They greatly limit what you can do in the hive IMO
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Most people do not wide space a brood chamber but it is common to wide space a honey super. Fatter honey combs are easier to uncap. Frame spacers make brood comb manipulaton more difficult and in my area would make for a huge amount of brace and burr comb.

Frame spacers make a super great place for SHB to hide in. They're also a pain in the butt as it's easy to get a frame set up high so the lid doesn't close. Unless you're digitally challenged from an accident or birth defect you have ten fingers which work perfectly for spacing frames. In your brood chambers you want to push all the frames together, centered in the box, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Unless you're digitally challenged, you have ten fingers which work perfectly for spacing frames. In your brood chambers you want to push all the frames together, centered in the box, anyway.
    If you're gonna put in less frames so that they draw out the honey comb further, you can save your money and eyeball it.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    All the folks that I know that bought them hated them. They greatly limit what you can do in the hive IMO
    What do you mean they limit what you do? They seem like a useful tool.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Frame spacers make a super great place for SHB to hide in.
    How and what does using a frame spacer make it easier for SHB to hide in?

Also, how do you know how far to space if you do it without the spacer tool?
    Think Different

I use 9 frames in a 10 frame box and like them. I don't have small hive beetles so thats not a problem. Try some for yourself, then you will know if you like them. Everyone here has their own opinion of what is best. What is best for me may not be best for you. I do a lot of things different than others here do, don't mean I'm right and there wrong just means there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by applefan View Post
    What do you mean they limit what you do? They seem like a useful tool.
    Without spacers, I can use a box for whatever I want: 8, 9, 10 frames, comb honey, etc. For frames with no comb drawn, I like having 10 frames so that it's drawn out evenly.

Also, how do you know how far to space if you do it without the spacer tool?
    If you're using less than 10 frames, you've made the decision you're going to purposely violate bee space, usually because you want the honey frames drawn out further for easier uncapping. So spacing doesn't have to be perfect - you can eyeball it. For me, it's about one index finger-width between frames.

Like Indy said I start all foundation with ten frames and then once drawn go to 9 also when I am working a box I move and slide my frames all around, I would not be able to do that with frame spacers, I do not want the limitation ..to easy to just eyeball it. Just my take on them. All you can do is get some and try them in a box or two and see what you think.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I have used 9 frame metal spacers for most of our honey supers for a number of years. For really strong honey flows we even used 8 frame spacers. I have never used them in brood chambers, as I have always considered them a management tool for honey production rather than brood management. I like spacers as the drawn out comb is mostly perfect, and easy to uncap.

What about using spacers in supers when starting out with just foundation. Will the bees draw out the comb evenly with, lets say a 9 frame spacer in a 10 frame super? I plan to make chuck/comb honey and would like the extra space for the bees to build out the comb. But it's my first year and I will be starting out with foundation--will this work????????

The preferred method is to use drawn comb with frame spacers. If you use foundation to start, the extra room allows the bees to often times build burr comb and brace comb. But once the frames are drawn out with comb, and you space them out to 9 or 8 frames per box the bees will fill the cells and drawn the comb out even further. You end up with very fat honey combs that are easy to uncap and extract. As I mentioned earlier, we only use frame spacers in honey supers for strong honey flows, and don't incorporate them in the brood boxes.

So from what I've gathered—it's not necessary to use frame spacers?
    Think Different

Frame spacers in the brood box no. Frame spacers in the honey supers yes. Keeps the frames in the honey supers organized and straight, with little effort. You never have to stand there while supering trying to space them out by eying.

Quote Originally Posted by applefan View Post
    So from what I've gathered—it's not necessary to use frame spacers?
    From my experience with just a few hives over the years, the kind of frame spacers [9-8-7, whatever] that you actually attach/nail to the super is not neccessary. I have used the metal frame spacer with the big teeth and I kind of like it because it's pretty fast in aligning the frames,.[9 in a 10 frame box].

With a lot of hives [20-50 or more], and many supers to be removed, sometimes those honey filled frames will rub/jam against each other, break the cappings and cause a lot of unnecessary dripping of honey. If honey supers are roughly handled by part time help or are transported long distances, this adds to the problem. Sometimes, 9 frames in a 10 frame box will get off at such an angle, that they fall out or cause other problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbee View Post
    From my experience with just a few hives over the years, the kind of frame spacers [9-8-7, whatever] that you actually attach/nail to the super is not neccessary. I have used the metal frame spacer with the big teeth and I kind of like it because it's pretty fast in aligning the frames,.[9 in a 10 frame box].
    Ok, that's what I meant—the ones with the metal teeth. I'm not sure if others have been talking about the ones you nail in—that's definitely not what I was thinking of . Thanks for clearing it up—I didn't realize it was just for the honey super(s). The only thing is is that Brushy Mountain only supplies a spacer tool for 10-frame hives—not 8-frame hives. I guess I won't be getting one...
    Think Different

I have this thing-- drove down to Brushy Mountain and bought it:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/659/
    And I have eight frame hives. So what I did was exacto knife the two end teeth and it slides well-- but of course, that's all I can say about it. Good to know not to try this with brood.

Is it possible to use a 7 frame spacer that is typically used in a 10 frame hive for an 8 frame?
    a 7 frame spacer IS for an 8 frame super just as a 9 frame spacer is for a 10 frame super I have never heard of 7 frames used in 10 frame equip. would only be a big mess...
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    The preferred method is to use drawn comb with frame spacers. If you use foundation to start, the extra room allows the bees to often times build burr comb and brace comb.
    So, being my first year, and not having drawn comb frames--do you suggest that I try to buy some drawn comb in frames (if that is possible) or just take my changes using foundation concerning the brace & burr comb?

If I do get the brace and burr comb, do I try to clean this out before the bees fill frame with honey or just what till harvest time?