Thread: Got drones.

Default Got drones.

Lots of drones. I am trying some foundationless frames so when I put my super on I included two foundationless in the mix. Well those girls went to town on them. They had them fully drawn and laid up before they touched the foundation. They weren't even next to each other! Goodness knows how they got that queen up there to lay drones in two spread apart frames at the end of Feb.

They are emerging now and I am going to move those frames to the outside! Maybe they will turn that into awesome honey comb!

Default Re: Got drones.

Congratulations, sounds like the start of a beautiful swarm season.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Sounds excellent!

You are way ahead of my area- I'm jealous! Can't wait to see drones in my hive- then I can start to think about splits!
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

I went through today and didn't have any swarm cells, thank goodness, no queen cells just tons of drones everywhere, and they are backfilling the drone comb with nectar... that is the good news at least! This false spring still has me worried though. April 15th is our last frost date.

Our last average frost also falls on tax day. I went through 5 of my hives today, and had drone cells in every one. In one hive, I had actual drones! Don't think that mine are swarmy, but rather just happy that it is warming up. As someone else said, I can now start grafting!

Got drones flying and crawling aroung. Caught two and they are fat. I see new bees flying and getting ready to forage, soon as they know the ropes.

Looking good, so far.

Best,

casper_zip

Here in sunny So. Cal. I have 1000 acres of wildflowers blooming. Good rain this week end to give them plenty of nectar. What will I do with all that honey?

It's the time of year for drones.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I just hope that we don't have a repeat of the killing frost that took out the tulip poplars a couple of years ago. Our poplars are already leafing out.