Default how long to keep cappings in box

I bought this acrylic uncapping box/tray thing and just used it for the first time. I uncapped a couple of frames that i removed to replace with drone foundation farmes. I didn't get much wax (or honey just off the uncappings). Can I just keep this stuff in the box (it has a sealed lid) til this summer when Ireally start to extract, or should I get it all out.

Default Re: how long to keep cappings in box

My answer would be yes but I would use if for feeding the bees as opposed to eating it myself. Everything looses flavor with age.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

It never pays to keep extacting equipment dirty.

Set in a warm place for a week to drain excess honey.Clean cappings by letting the bees at them or wash in warm water and drain to dry.Clean,dry cappings can be rendered later.
    Or you can render wet(honey) cappings in a water bath and skim off wax or let cool and pry off the wax block

ok, thnx

If you have SHB in your area don't leave cappings or honey sitting around. Here in FL our biggest problem with SHB is in the honey house. After a couple days any cappings we leave will be crawling with beetles and larva. We clean up within 24 hours of extracting, washing down every last bit of equipment, and we extract at least 3 times/year. Cleaning up is a pain in the butt, but well worth doing.

catdance, it would help if we had a pic of this thing. What I envision is a small plastic device and a plastic tray to contain the cappings which you can seal up. My cappings are in a clear plastic jug with a screw top (large pretzel container) so nothing can get into it.
    Brian Cardinal

I couldn't figure out how to post a pic, so here's a link to my Flickr site. It is the first 2 pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/catdance62
    the top is a cover that seals pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by catdance62 View Post
    I couldn't figure out how to post a pic, so here's a link to my Flickr site. It is the first 2 pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/catdance62
    the top is a cover that seals pretty well

I will try grabbing it.

Go to “share this” and “grab the link”, copy the link to your clipboard. Then click the insert image icon in your beesource message window and paste the link into the insert image window. Click OK and it should put "[IMG]" before your link and "[/IMG]" after your link in the message window. For the tiny amount that I see in this image I would just feed it back to the bees and watch them enjoy it. Open honey like that will probably absorb moisture and ferment.

Photo didn't work. Maybe flickr doesn't allow direct links.
    Brian Cardinal

The flicker link worked OK for me. Here is what I do with cappings I spread them out on a cookie sheet and set them out for the bees to clean up, then I rinse and dry them and stick them in a ziploc until I am ready to deal with them.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

THat sounds easy--I'll set it up tomorrow for the bees.