Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Wax melter in Kitchen

Hey t0k, thats a pretty cool idea do you put the capping's in a cloth first or straight into the strainer part, and how much water gets in the final product
    Honeydew

well, maybe 200W won't work, but whatever flood lights they use to heat up the toilet seat so that your bun does not get cold in the winter morning, will definitely work. It certaily feels roasty once you sit under one of the them. Yes, speaking from personal experience. I am just giving options for my fellow NWesteners who do not have sun but for 3 months out of the year.

Be ever so careful w/ a heat lamp for adding heat to the wax melting process. Fies have been started. Never leave it unattended.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

excellet point. that's why I suggested lower wattage lamp, but I guess slow does it is not the goal here, so higher wattage was suggested later. it is the trapping of the heat that does the work, not the heat source.

Quote Originally Posted by AramF View Post
    it is the trapping of the heat that does the work, not the heat source.
    I disagree. I have been solar melting for over 30 years. I can not believe that you could melt any decent quantity of wax by shining a heat lamp on it, unless it was a heat lamp the size of a house. In my melter, at the end of the day, as soon as part of the catch can goes into the shade, the wax starts to harden on the top from the outsides. That wax could not be much cooler than the liquid wax next, and under it. Also, wax under frame shadows does not melt as quickly as the wax not under the shadow. The sun hitting the wax is as important as the heat in the box.

Post a video of your heat lamp wax melter, this I've got to see.

The wax melteras I have experience w/ have two heat sources, sometimes. The one I had was waterjacketed so the honey stayed hot and the wax stayed on top. And it had a heat element in the hood to melt the wax.

Others I have seen are jacketed in steam, w/ a port for the wax to drain from and a port to drain the honey from.

I don't know how folks are going to get the honey out of the crock pot. By the time the wax is melted into a cake and then allowed to cool, the honey will be ruined.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by HONEYDEW View Post
    Hey t0k, thats a pretty cool idea do you put the capping's in a cloth first or straight into the strainer part, and how much water gets in the final product
    No, i dont use cloth. I do the same wax twice so it is cleaner.
    How much water depends on how fast the melting goes, but i dont see why is that important.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12