Default New Beek need suggestion on hive placement?

Hope I'm ok posting in this forum. Wasn't sure if it should be here or in beekeeping 101. Here goes nothin...

I was recently able to secure a spot at an organic vegetable co-op. They have 4 acres in vegetables of all sorts, 7 acres in field corn, 9 acres in alfalfa, and 10 acres in hay. They also have a prarie restoration project ongoing at their location. I'm not sure how big that is... but I assume prarie wildflowers are a part of that.

They have no spraying of any herbicides or pesticides within 1/4 mile of the possible hive site. My question is.... are veggies really that great for bees? I know the bees will be good for the veggies, but how much do bees really like veggie gardens?

I take delivery of my package or carnies on April 2nd and was hoping this spot would work well. I may even try to negotiate to get a partial or whole share of the co-op.

Two more quick questions... Is getting certified organic difficult for honey producers? And is this a good spot?

Thanks in advance for your tips.....

Chad

Default Re: New Beek need suggestion on hive placement?

Sounds like you may have a good location, depends on what else surrounds the coop fields. I don't think you will get "certified organic". From what I understand, that is not possible for beekeeping in the US as the bees will most certainly fly outside the confines of the coop area. -james

bees love many veggie plants, like broccoli. The alfalfa should be very good as well. Wikipedia provides some nice info on forage for bees.

My dad always said that his bees got him a lot of early tomatoes for farmer's market when other venders had very few. Made for good sales!

Sounds like a great spot!! Yes bee's love veggie gardens, they will work the heck out of alfalfa as well but are not too fond it as the bloom pops them on the head when they trigger it the first few times. I would definitely take the opportunity!!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries