Default better bee feeders

Hey everyone. I have a quick question. I have tried a new feeder in one of my bee yards (better bee black plastic top feeder). I have always used a bucket feeder or other methods before. I put the feeders on sunday. The bees really aren't taking to them. Any tricks or ideas?

Default Re: better bee feeders

Give it time. They will start eating when they are hungry. Is there another food source outside the hive.? Natural will be their first choice.

If they are bring in pollen, then they maybe bringing in necter.
    In that case the feeder maybe ignored.
    Old Guy in Alabama

I bought a Dadant top feeder, the type of feeder that has two sections with 'floating' platforms for the bees to use while getting syrup. Someone told me that these feeders are no good, bees drown in them. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I'm new to beekeeping and don't want to kill off my bees while trying to feed them.

I am fairly new also to beekeeping. But have a similiar hive top feeder. I think with the floats in it there would not be much drowing. Some people say they are good for feeding on top of the hive because there is not as much robbing risk as with entrance feeders. I only have one hive right now, so earlier this year I used the top feeder sitting on my stand by the bee hive. Without floating pieces of wood in it, too many bees drown, but with the floats in it, great and only a few bees drowned. I would try it. The funny thing is when I put it on the top of the hive, they didnt care much for it. Go figure! Same thing happened with the Collins bee feeder, but put an entrance feeder on and they will suck it up.

Thanks, beegirl. This is helpful info. I'll consider sitting the top feeders - which we'll now have to call 'side feeders' - next to my hive, rather than on top. Lots of people around me seem to be using baggies to hold the syrup, but to me, I'd rather have a feeder I can use than always fiddling with baggies with holes cut in them. So, thanks again and good luck with your flying ladies!

Give the feeders a week or so before you decide not to use them. My girls started slow but before long were taking down a gallon a day. I wouldn't use them off the hive- same as open feeding.

ok. I'll try them out, after all, I bought them because I liked the design and ease of use. Thanks for your advice.