Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tragedy Strikes the BeeBee Tree World

The BeeBee tree from which I have collected the seeds for all the BeeBee trees I have sold on BeeSource for years, was cut down by the city today. I planted it in about 1990 and it had lifted the sidewalk about 18". They also cut down my Eucalyptus Citriodora which was in full bloom and had also lifted the sidewalk about 18". Luckily I have a bed of seedlings leftover and seeds to plant this year.

Default Re: Tragedy Strikes the BeeBee Tree World

The Shame they put upon their self for cutting down such a wonderful food supply to the bees
    Thomas Bartram - 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

If you have seedlings you are good to go apparently they propagate well as rooted cuttings

Wouldn't have been cheaper to just replace the sections of sidewalk? Of course I'm not a city planner so what do I know?

AAh the pressures of city life.. We don't even have sidewalks here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    AAh the pressures of city life.. We don't even have sidewalks here!
    Sidewalks? Shoot, around here, not even all of the roads are paved...and we're into Mud Season now, which can make things -really- interesting.

So, what is a BeeBee tree?
    Zone 4a/b

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

A sad day in San Mateo for sure. My condolences.
    Vice President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Does that make my seeds advance in price? I have what looks to be about 50-60 seeds left in the original little ziplock baggie they were delivered in. (offspring of the sidewalk raiser) Could this bee a marketing opportunity?

What's a sidewalk?

So sad to see this one go.
    On the bright side you can put one in a big wooden planter
    to grow. I put mine in my backyard. It splits into 2 branches now.
    Still young so should I cut one off or just leave it bee?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Thanks. Doh! Of course, I should have gone there first (or google), the great god Wiki knows all...but I always end up getting sidetracked and spend too much time looking at other stuff.

OK, Wiki -doesn't- know all, it didn't mention hardiness but mr. google told me. Might make it here, since the temp only occasionally goes below -25*, various sites give different ranges.

One site said it took 12 years to flower? Really? I could be dead by then...another site says six years...OdFrank, can you clear this up?
    Zone 4a/b

Quote Originally Posted by BadBeeKeeper View Post
    Thanks. Doh! Of course, I should have gone there first (or google), the great god Wiki knows all...but I always end up getting sidetracked and spend too much time looking at other stuff.

OK, Wiki -doesn't- know all, it didn't mention hardiness but mr. google told me. Might make it here, since the temp only occasionally goes below -25*, various sites give different ranges.

One site said it took 12 years to flower? Really? I could be dead by then...another site says six years...OdFrank, can you clear this up?
    If you have success with one please let me know. I suspect it is too tender for around here. But then we got a little colder than you this past winter. -35F And I don't know about your place but it snowed here last night. I had plants arrive today. Too bad there is 1.5 feet of snow where I want to plant them. Into the fridge they went!

>One site said it took 12 years to flower? Really? I could be dead by then...another site says six years...OdFrank, can you clear this up?

I don't know.

So sorry for your loss Oliver. Your tree's offspring are sprouting in Virginia though for the second year! The spirit lives on...
    7 yrs. 13 Hives T Zone 7a

Now there is space to plant a couple young trees. I'm waiting to see if my 4 year old blooms this year. Its about 8' tall
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    If you have success with one please let me know. I suspect it is too tender for around here. But then we got a little colder than you this past winter. -35F And I don't know about your place but it snowed here last night. I had plants arrive today. Too bad there is 1.5 feet of snow where I want to plant them. Into the fridge they went!
    Yeah, out of the last 7 days, it has snowed here more days than not, today we are getting some rain. I was under the impression that you were closer to the coast than I am, and therefore typically warmer. Not the case this year? I'm still buried here too.

I think I might give them a try, if I can figure out where to put them. Seems to be some conflicting opinions as to sun requirements, some say full sun, others say partial shade. Maybe I'll try some in different areas- by the edge of the field, in the woods, and down along the creek.
    Zone 4a/b

Unless I'm seeing the photo wrong it looks like you planted the tree in the middle of the sidewalk.

If so, how is it you allowed to do that and how come you don't have to pay for the removal? Looks expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Unless I'm seeing the photo wrong it looks like you planted the tree in the middle of the sidewalk. If so, how is it you allowed to do that and how come you don't have to pay for the removal? Looks expensive.
    SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Street trees are commonly planted this way here and millions are spent annually repairing the root damage they cause too streets and sidewalks. I placed plastic root barriers on these trees when I planted them but the trees just laughed at my efforts. The cities have on going programs repairing the concrete, they were doing numerous repairs around the neighborhood. They were mostly concerned with puddling. We are on the edge of Bayshore Freeway to the left, which is on the old shore of San Francisco bay. So the street is almost level. The soil is very unstable due to the high water table.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast