Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 122
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    1,578

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    That's the best plan.
    Most farmers do not use organic practices. That is it part I would like to go back to because there was a time when most farmers did practice organic farming. It is not the practice that causes the prices to be high it is because only a few are doing it. If every farm was doing it the price increase would not be over 15% instead of the two and three times the cost of the cheap food. Gasoline can increase by 15% in a week and nobody's revolting yet. Some people pay more for gas then they do for food! They are not going to give up their wheels they will just look for cheaper food. And then pay the price later.

    Now I understand what you are saying. We need to return to a simpler agrarian way of life and economic system. Is that your point?

    Brother Number 1 would be proud of you!


  2. #82
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    a universal solvent and given enough time, enough water will remove anything.

    The wash in Barry's example is unfortunately false advertising, the potatoes aren't. Neither water or commercial washes can rid a plant of pesticides, not even over time. Pesticides are absorbed by a plant when applied to its leaves, seed or soil. The chemical circulates through the tissue of that plant so no amt of washing will get rid of it. There is a good article in mother earth news about this. References cited are from the EPA, U.S Dept. of Agriculture, California Dept of Ag and the Pesticide Action Network.
    ~Michelle

  3. #83
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baker Oregon
    Posts
    2,284

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Try this one on for size. 99.9% of the pesticides we ingest are naturally occurring in the foods we eat (caused by the natural selection of chemical warfare in plants that allowed them to survive the evolutionary process).

    And they are carcinogenic, with a similar potency of synthetic pesticides.

    http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...al-pesticides/
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

  4. #84
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Liberty, Maine
    Posts
    197

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Soap Pixie View Post
    That is exactly what I meant about organic standards not ultimately benefitting the people but more of a benefit to animals and environment.
    Sorry to quote so far back but I wanted to address this sentence. I've seen animals die in the name of producing organic food and no, I don't mean by way of the butcher.

    When organic livestock become sick there's very little that can be done in order to keep things "organic". Some come through just fine, other don't, they all suffer to a certain extent. In my mind it's less about being organic and more about just being moderate. Treat what needs to be treated and not what doesn't; I don't see why the animals caught in the middle should suffer . I'm more worried about whole sale treatment of problems that don't really exist honestly.

    I treat my bees the same way. If everything is fine, I leave them alone but if somethings wrong I'll step in.

    There's no flag to fly that goes along with these methods, I like to think it's common sense but I'm sure there are those that disagree with me.

    K

  5. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Kopeck,

    I was a vegan for 5 years, my heart tends to side with the animals on most things Thank you for your input and your right, moderate is good. I have the same philosophy about the bees. I will step in when necessary and if there aren't non-toxic ways of doing so then the bees are just going to have to go the way nature intended.

    Riodelobo,.

    Now you've given me something else to process. Lol! The more I inquire the worse it gets.

    I guess I will stay focussed on environmental toxins. Food was never my strong suit. Organic or not organic we live in a toxic waste land already and as a woman I have an average of 200 carcinogenic or potential carcinogenic chemicals attached to my fat cells right now. No amount of organics and exercise will flush that out. I'll focus on eliminating risk factors and environmental toxins for future gen's. Long road but someone has to do it
    ~Michelle

  6. #86
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Limestone Co, Alabama
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Not only is water ...the universal solvent it is an inorganic solvent to boot... Now I am really confused. What happens when you wash certified organic veggies with an inorganic solvent?
    Hey y'all, I got the answer to Nabber86's question. You wash your certified organic veggies in copious amounts of expensive French Perrier bottled water. The tiny bubbles convert natural or in-organic water into ORGANIC H2O, YEA!!!
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

  7. #87
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    1,578

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapfe View Post
    Hey y'all, I got the answer to Nabber86's question. You wash your certified organic veggies in copious amounts of expensive French Perrier bottled water. The tiny bubbles convert natural or in-organic water into ORGANIC H2O, YEA!!!
    Perrier? That's a whole nuther can o worms. Remember when they found Benzene in Perrier years ago. I gues that make it even more organic.

  8. #88
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Limestone Co, Alabama
    Posts
    1,674

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    ... Most farmers do not use organic practices. That is it part I would like to go back to because there was a time when most farmers did practice organic farming. It is not the practice that causes the prices to be high it is because only a few are doing it...
    What would be the effect if all (farmers) were doing it? For a minute let’s forget about the Billions of people who would die if farming practices suddenly reversed 300 years into the past. Let’s just task the people advocating the practice of organic agriculture with the job of picking the 40% of the United States population to be deliberately starved to death by converting 40% of our existing farm land to grain and forage production just so we can feed, pasture, and raise the livestock and draft animals needed by an organic farm 300 years ago.

    Everything taken into account, by using primitive farming practices I suspect that we would need to increase at least four or five fold the number of acres currently under cultivation just to raise the same amount of food we produce today. Now that brings into question "Who is going to pick or chose which National Park, whose Grass Land, what Rain Forrest, or how many Wet Lands we convert into crop land, and will the selection process be fair?"
    Last edited by Scrapfe; 03-22-2011 at 06:15 PM.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

  9. #89
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baker Oregon
    Posts
    2,284

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Or we could all go back to subsistence farming. But i think that might negatively impact our quality modern of life.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

  10. #90
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    8,438

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    by using primitive farming practices
    I was growing tired of this topic but organic practices have no requirement of primitive farming. You can mass produce using organic methods. The big boys are now involved in it cashing in on the profits.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  11. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baker Oregon
    Posts
    2,284

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Soap Pixie View Post
    I was a vegan for 5 years, my heart tends to side with the animals on most things
    Off topic but curious. Do vegans consider honey to be vegan? How about bread (leavened) or alcohol? I have always wondered.

    Thanks
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

  12. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    8,438

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    [QUOTE][No amount of organics and exercise will flush that out. /QUOTE]

    What?? Water and exercise flushes out toxins. You just want an excuse.

    BTW My wife was a vegetarian for over 30 years. She turned me into a flexitarian. She now eats pasture raised beef, pig, chicken, and wild deer because as you say organic is not organic anymore. However even the big guys have restrictions if they want to jump on the organics bandwagon. We live in the city and are not allowed to have livestock. Our chickens are grandfathered in because we got a permit just in the nick of time.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  13. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    I can't speak for all vegans as they all seem to have their own way of thinking as far as what each one will consume but I was a member of PETA at that time (please, no poking fun ) and PETA is antibeekeeping and therefore, anti honey. Funny that we were allowed to eat almonds though As for alcohol, I didn't drink so I'm not entirely sure what the vegan stance is on that, I only explored what I intended to consume. You got me on the bread, what in bread is from an animal? Though I'm not a vegan now I do make my own bread and sometimes it contains an egg and other times it doesn't. I have a feeling your about to teach me something I wasn't aware of.
    ~Michelle

  14. #94
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    What?? Water and exercise flushes out toxins. You just want an excuse.

    Acebird,

    You've just proven to me you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to health. Which I already figured since you keep spouting opinions on the subject with no evidence to back up anything you say. You simply just ignore the requests for resources, which speaks volumes.

    FACT: fat soluble chemicals cannot be flushed from fat cells with water. Exercise can limit the amount of fat cells you have, therefore, lessening the amount of chemicals you store. If someone were obese were and took on a rigid exercise program to break down fat at an accelerated rate, the toxins are immediately released into the blood stream and could cause death.

    An example of a chemical stored in fat that cannot be flushed out with water and/or exercise is DDT. DDT is an organochlorine.

    "Organochlorines are compounds that contain carbon, chlorine, and hydrogen. Their chlorine-carbon bonds are very strong which means that they do not break down easily. They are highly insoluble in water, but are attracted to fats. Since they resist metabolism and are readily stored in fatty tissue of any animal ingesting them, they accumulate in animals in higher trophic levels. This may occur when birds eat fish that have been exposed to the contaminant. It may also affect humans if they drink milk of a dairy cow that has ingested the chemical because the chemical is excreted in its milk fat. This is called biological magnification."

    Organochlorines are some of the chemicals found most often in the hundreds of tests of human body tissue - blood, adipose tissue, breastmilk - that have been conducted around the world. Because of their chemical structure, organochlorines break down slowly, build up in fatty tissues, and remain in our bodies for a long time.

    Here is one reference and there are thousands more on this topic, I won't waste any more time responding to you though since it seems you are more about antagonizing people with your posts than you are about learning and sharing facts. So if you want to know more on this topic you'll have to do the research yourself the way others do it.

    BTW/I've been fit and exercise routinely since I was 15, I'm now turning 40. I also drink more than the required amount of water each day. My body is filled with carcinogenic chemicals that aren't going anywhere and so are yours. Doubt it, ask for the blood test at your next physical. Good luck!

    http://www.chemicalbodyburden.org/cs_organochl.htm

    http://www.chemicalbodyburden.org/whatisbb.htm
    ~Michelle

  15. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbia county, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,535

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    I've been told that most vegans will not consume (or wear) any products from animals- that includes milk, eggs, honey, leather, fur, feathers, & wool. I think yeast is considered more like a plant than an animal by vegans.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

  16. #96
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    True Omie, yeast was not considered an animal product as far as I know, but that was nearly 20 yrs ago so maybe that has changed
    ~Michelle

  17. #97
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Farmington, New Mexico
    Posts
    6,292

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    The thread seems to have taken a rather personal turn. Let's turn back. Thanks.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

  18. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Columbia county, New York, USA
    Posts
    1,535

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    So, as far as I have read and heard, there is no 'certification' for US produced organic honey. Yet the person who answered Soap Pixie's query way back in this thread says there is a certification for US organic honey but that it's hard to obtain, but they have it for their product. Others say the purity standards and regulations have not been completed for honey yet.
    So does anyone know for sure here?
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

  19. #99
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    8,438

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    http://www.ysorganic.com/organic.html

    So, as far as I have read and heard, there is no 'certification' for US produced organic honey.
    Looks like there is but a certified land in Illinois a state that is nothing but GMO corn?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  20. #100
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    375

    Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

    Omie,

    I just asked her through email to provide me with a link to her resource for this information or a link to the info showing this is actually certified and not just proposed. I'll let you know if I get anything.
    ~Michelle

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads