Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

We've been told (by certifiers) that we should be supporting the effort to pass an organic standard for honey, as this would benefit our business. Our research doesn't support this contention.
    I can’t see how it would benefit your business either. I do see a value in defining what you can call honey though. I also see a value in what you can label “Organic” honey with limits set on impurities such as pesticides and chemical crop sprays that you can test for. The GMO thing is an impossible dream to have that eliminated from an Organic honey because there is no way to control it. Because of cross pollination it will eventually be impossible to exclude it from all Organic foods over time.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Default Re: Organic Honey is Certified?

Organic changed when USDA took over certification of everything. I guess I can do it, if I decide not to medicate my bees, I don't have anyone around for at least 17 miles and since we are doing organic beef and getting certified for that, we won't have non-organic fields after this season. Has anyone ever done hives that aren't medicated what is the success and survival rate. We also have a short growing and long winter season. June 1 last freeze and Sept 30 first freeze.