Hybrid View

Default Metal tops to hive covers, hotter or cooler?

Living in Arizona I was trying to determine a good way to keep the hives cooler in the summer months when the daytime temp can easily be 115 in the shade. In the sun it can be much worse. I started at the top by looking at the hive cover. I thought about covering my hive tops with metal but then I wasn't sure if that would make it worse or better? On the one hand it reflects the sun, on the other it's so hot to touch it would burn your hand.

I was planning on screen bottoms, to assist with ventilation. Placing the hives so they are in shade for the hot afternoon hours and adding ventilation at the top via holes or a screen.

Is there any concensus as to what would be best to cover hives with in the South Western US?

Thanks for the bee colony mentality for group wisdom here! All ideas are considered and most seem to be tried.

Default Re: Metal tops to hive covers, hotter or cooler?

They use metal in Honduras. That is a bit south of you and hotter.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You could always place a sheet of styrofoam underneath the metal.. The metal would protect it and it would then insulate the top from both heat and cold.

Styrofoam is a yes!

For a good place to get thin aluminum to cover your hive cover, call your local newspaper. Most presses use aluminum sheets. You will have to clean a thin layer of grease off the back side, and excess ink off of the print side. (mainly to keep it off your hands) They use these sheets one time, stack them up and send them to scrap yard. What a waste!
    To clean them off, I found that the cheap carburator cleaner that Auto Zone sells for $1.99 per can will clean 10 sheets on both sides. Will clean off both grease and ink. Use that old cotton T-shirt in your rag bag. Paper towels don't work!!! Oh, My paper sells them to me for $1 each.

I use the polystyrene beemax telescoping covers that Betterbee makes for woodenhives (they are also make a version for their own beemax hives) it is basically high impact styrofoam. paints easily and holds up well... just dont put your hot smaoker on top of it... you'll add additional large ventilation holes! they work well both in summer and winter

I understand the BeeMax hives as well as tops are great ventilators. Cool in the summer, warm in the winter. This come from the local bee inspector in this area. I, however, have so many old fashioned wooden boxes, I don't see myself converting in the near future. The one thing I would do with metal tops is paint the metal white. It deflects even better than just having aluminum in the sun. Too, I think you should try slatted racks. We certainly don't get as hot here as where you are, but we can get into the hundreds in a really bad summer. I noticed that as soon as I put the slatted racks on, the girls stopped bearding and went back inside! Too, I raise up my outer cover a bit from the inner cover by placing screws in the corners of the inner cover, and now screwing them completely in, leaving about 1/4" sticking up. More ventilation and not a big space for robbers to get in.