Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Cleaning / cleaner for hive boxes...

10K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  max2 
#1 ·
Hi,

Newer keeper, and wondering what household cleaners are safe to use to clean boxes / bottom boards?

They are just gunky with some mold and mildew and ya know, some mouse excraments. This is equipment currently out of service. I know bees do a good cleaning inside, but I want to be proactive.

Bleach? Other? Wet and forget?

What's best and will not be nasty or leave residue to harm repel bees if used inside and out?

Thanks,

MP

#3 ·
What was the health of the previous bees ?

A first lesson, becareful of used equiptment !

May need to be scorthed on the inside to be safe, best bet.

Diluted household bleach and a good scrub brush, leave air dry in the sun for a few days, should be sufficient, IF no diease.

:lookout: PCM

#13 ·
Ya know, I kind of over looked this fact that I do know about.

This equipment is in fact used. The folks I got it from were the only owners, they were 1-2 year folks, and they said the bees "absconded" one day. They said everything seemed fine then one day they were "gone".

Well, when I took at look inside here is what I found.

-Fully drawn out first deep, each had a 2nd deep in place but no wax draw. Could have been added later.

-Center frame was missing, as they had queen cage inserted there, fully drawn comb in this empty slot.

-comb was pretty dark, looked like 2 yr + comb to me.

-several hundered dead bees on bottom board

-Several ~4 frames with 100 or less of dead bees "head in" the cells. Obviously a cluster sign.

-comb was mostly empty, except for the small head in dead bees. no stores, no pollen, very little signs of wax moths. very few cells with partial caps on them some with dead paupe inside, like maybe 20-40 total in entire box.

Now going from what they said, they said the bees were "doing well" but then gone one day. They did treat with formic acid but I don't think anything else.

Could a formic acid treatment make them abscond?

Why would there appear to be dead wintered cluster bees? I would think an active hive would QUICKLY clear these bees out.

The more I think about it the stranger it gets.

Are there signs of foulbrood in empty comb? I have never experienced it.

I am NOT using any of the old combs, was just going to use the boxes.

I suppose I could scorch them on the insides as a precaution.

Any take on these observations?

Thanks,

MP

#17 ·
Thanks all for the info and suggestions. This is a great fourm.

I did scrub down my bottom boards that were nasty with some bleach water...they were just nasty....funny though, they still smell like mouse urine after they dried out....ick.

Thanks much,

MP

#21 ·
Dirty equipment - yes, the bees know what to do but WE like it to look nice!
I use Sugar Soap and a rinse. Takes away the dirt and the bees have never complained.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.