Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: 10 frame to 8 frame (help appreciated)

I had a heck of a time with my old hive it was in bad shape.I tried to get the bees to move up into the new 8 frame box but had no luck.I ended up having to beat the old frames out because this hive was neglected before I received it.I basically did a cut out and put everything into 8 frame mediums. This worked but was a mess,but it was a learning experience.Then this summer I lost the queen,I now have requeened the hive and all is well. I also have 2 new packages I started in march that are doing great and caught a swarm a couple months ago from a Buddy's hive.I now have everything in 8 frame mediums and I'm glad I do. (back problems) The only down side was no honey for me this year,but I learned allot. David

Default Re: 10 frame to 8 frame (help appreciated)

Quote Originally Posted by David W. View Post
    I had a heck of a time with my old hive it was in bad shape.I tried to get the bees to move up into the new 8 frame box but had no luck.I ended up having to beat the old frames out because this hive was neglected before I received it.I basically did a cut out and put everything into 8 frame mediums. This worked but was a mess,but it was a learning experience.Then this summer I lost the queen,I now have requeened the hive and all is well. I also have 2 new packages I started in march that are doing great and caught a swarm a couple months ago from a Buddy's hive.I now have everything in 8 frame mediums and I'm glad I do. (back problems) The only down side was no honey for me this year,but I learned allot. David
    Wow, sounds like you had a very eventful experience with that box of bees. As for the lack of honey this year...looks like you're already considering that as "tuition" to for your "higher education".

After the first of the year I will be getting two hives, both in deep 10-frame deeps with one hive having a medium box on top. These hives are being kept by my mentor, though, so I won't have nearly the trouble you had with yours. Thanks for sharing your experience and for gathering the suggestions of the other beeks...it all helps.

Best wishes,
    Ed