Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Truck Recommendation

You don't have to have CDL's to haul bees or bee stuff for yourself. There is an farm exception we get. It's in the Federal Motor Carrier Saftey Regulations book. Just look it up at that website and search Bee it'll come up. It's Part 391.2 in the book. You can find at most truck stops. I called Atlanta's office and talked to someone there and he told me that meant bees and empty supers. Because I didn't wanna be hit with you don't have bees sir these are empty boxes or a empty truck. I would say a medium duty because smaller usally only gotta be a 12 ft bed. And I want as long a bed as it can get. I only have a 12 ft now and I blows.

Thumbs Up Re: Truck Recommendation

One thing to think about while you are in the thinking stage is the weight of the bed.
    I prefer Intercontenental Truckbody aluminum beds. Super strong, Very light.
    For every pound that your bed weighs, that is a pound of bees you cannot safely haul.
    And many beds that I see are short on engineering, long on STEEL.
    Some fabricator's answer to every problem is to weld on more steel.
    I got a quote for a 26' aluminum bed and it was about $4600.00.
    Around Salem, you can buy REALLY NICE late model 26000# or 33000# for under $15.000.00
    With that new bed, a hitch and a couple of tool boxes you are going to have a really sharp and efficient rig.
    One more thing: The International 33000# truck is only 500 - 700 pounds heavier than the 26000# identical LOOKING truck. Also the 33000# truck has better gearbox options so that you can have lower low gears, and better top end gears for improved mileage.
    Take your time; there is a lot to chose from and the market is flooded with good deals right now.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

The 391.2 only gets you out of the med card. The 391.2 are the exemptions for section 391 which is only about driver requirements.

Regarding the question about 26K plus trailer weight - I am not 100% sure yet but our commercial handbook says a 26K plus an under 10K trailer is Ok without CDL. Over 26K plus less than 10K and you can use a class B. Over 26K plus over 10K trailer requires a class A. Under 26K plus over 10K trailer can be done with a 'J' endorsement.
    Farm plates are only good for local travel under the 150 mile radius and not for interstate commerce.

see below for description from the Nevada Commercial Handbook

You must have a CDL to operate:
    • A single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of
    more than 26,000 pounds;
    • A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross
    combinations weight rating is more than 26,000 pounds;
    • A vehicle designed to transport 16 or more passengers,
    including the driver; or
    • Any size vehicle that requires hazardous materials placards.

1.3 Classifications, Endorsements and Restrictions
    VEHICLE CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM
    Class A
    Any combination of motor vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or
    more provided the vehicle being towed has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) in excess of 10,000
    pounds.
    Examples:
    Class B
    Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in
    excess of 10,000 pounds.
    Examples:
    Class C
    Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but
    that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded for
    hazardous materials.

For the money and hassle you are talking about, just rent or buy a bobcat for southern use, and leave it down there. 100 hives are heavy, but you can make two trips, or find a buddy, or leave a few down there with someone you trust and split or makes nucs off of them. I does not matter much what the law is, as all troopers are on orders to ticket anything, as all states are in the Red. They do not know what the law is and could care less, otherwise they would be lawyers and not cops. They are there to bring in revenue. It is only going to get worse. You should be able to get creative here and come up with a decent solution that obviates the CDL. It is not cheap or easy. You got off easy with the night at the wal-mart.

I have rented Bobcats in the past. One time I blew hydrolic hoses on mine and had to rent one while mine was in the shop. Another time I rented on to load the semi. They delivered it on a friday and picked it up on monday and as long as I didn't have more than 8 hours on it, they only charged me a days rent, plus delivery and pickup fees.

One thing about having your own is, other than when it is in the shop, it's yours to use whenever you want to.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I see they are beating the CDL topic again....
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251016

One thing about renting though is that it kinda puts you under the gun to get the job done. No excuses like "why do today what you can put off until tomorrow" It aint my fault I was born lazy and woke up feeling tired.

For 100 hives I would hire a local to off load by hand. Put another 60-100 on trailer and hire 2 more locals to offload those bees.

Keep your hooks well baited.

Jean-Marc

Question- does the 150 mile thing apply to straight trucks/OTR trucks or does it also include 1 tons and the like?

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

anything with a GCVWR of 10000 lb and used for commercial purposes

Does a 1 ton or 3/4 ton with a skidder and trailer fall under that? what about 100 hives on a gooseneck plus the truck? Broad questions.

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Does a 1 ton or 3/4 ton with a skidder and trailer fall under that? what about 100 hives on a gooseneck plus the truck? Broad questions.

mike
    What's the set-up weigh? Not to mention, have you got it distributed correctly and still under the GWR on the truck and trailer?

There is axle weights you need to worry about as well as bridge and gross weights. Just because you can meet one can you meet all three.

And don't forget to get your DOT numbers and have them posted on your truck. Whatever you decide to get I would recommend that it be very common. If Mark wasn't driving something as common as a Ford diesel recently when he had problems he might still be waiting for parts. I always had a good opinion of the IHC DT 466 until I bought a 5 year old one with 200000 miles on it a year ago. Spent $5,000 on repairs in the first 3,000 miles, maybe I was just unlucky but I won't even put it on the road anymore, sure looks nice though.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

How about a used Kodiak or TopKick they have nice low decks and I have hauled way over the gross with both types and still had plenty of power..
    Honeydew

Thumbs down Re: Bad information repeated twice

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post
    The 391.2 only gets you out of the med card.
    Why do you keep saying this?
    You stated this in a prior thread and it is absolutly false!
    Is section 391 strictly about medical cards?
    READ SECTION 391 for crying out loud!

The exemptions in 391.2 cover MUCH MORE than just the medical card. (for the second tiime)

And for everyone else, please read the following. Pay attention to 391.2:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?menukey=391
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

391.2 is the Federal rule and guideline for states. Each state can set additional restrictions and even lesser occasionally. Western states are more lenient and northeast will tear you up, i.e. speed limits, lengths and weights! Reciprocity is not a right, it is a privilidge sometimes extended between states too.
    Most enforcement officers can be persuaded if you have a rule with you. I keep mine in the console with my med card, etc. HOS, med cards, logs, commercial status of vehicles less than 26K, are open to local interpretation. Weights must meet registration, axle, GVWR, GCVWR, bridge formula, wheel and tire with DOT, others just check the registration.
    I find a couple hundred bees in the cab dissuade most cops. "Do you want me to open the window or the door sir?"
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Seems to be a definition that most want to fall under, but don't...

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aspx?reg=390.5
    Farm vehicle driver means a person who drives only a commercial motor vehicle that is—
    (a) Controlled and operated by a farmer as a private motor carrier of property;
    (b) Being used to transport either—
    (1) Agricultural products, or
    (2) Farm machinery, farm supplies, or both, to or from a farm;
    (c) Not being used in the operation of a for-hire motor carrier;
    (d) Not carrying hazardous materials of a type or quantity that requires the commercial motor vehicle to be placarded in accordance with §177.823 of this subtitle; and
    (e) Being used within 150 air-miles of the farmer's farm.
    Farmer means any person who operates a farm or is directly involved in the cultivation of land, crops, or livestock which—
    (a) Are owned by that person; or
    (b) Are under the direct control of that person.
    The part that most are disqualified from on the is the 150 miles from the farm. Once that occurs, you are a commercial operator.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aspx?reg=383.5
    Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles used in commerce to transport passengers or property if the motor vehicle—
    (a) Has a gross combination weight rating of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) inclusive of a towed unit(s) with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds); or
    (b) Has a gross vehicle weight rating of 11,794 or more kilograms (26,001 pounds or more); or
    (c) Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver; or
    (d) Is of any size and is used in the transportation of hazardous materials as defined in this section.
    So keep it under 26,000 lbs GCW and under 9999 Trailer GW and you should be good.

Diversity of state rules and federal ruling -
    “The federal regulations give states the opportunity to provide a waiver from the federal regulations’ vehicle and driver standards to intrastate operation of vehicles 26,000 pounds or less.”
    ND “There is no restriction on how far you can travel on farm plates; however, if traveling over 100 air miles (or 150 miles for CDL or 150 air miles for intrastate operations), you would have to comply with Federal Motor Carrier regulations. Additionally, if traveling out of state you may have to pay temporary registration fees with other states.”
    MN “If the truck is hauling a trailer, you need a commercial (or farm) plate if the combined gross weight of the truck, trailer and load exceeds 8,000 pounds.”
    “A driver needs to keep a log book when the driver is driving a vehicle that is being used in any commerce, and:
    a. the vehicle exceeds 10,000 pounds GVW or GVWR and is used interstate; or
    b. exceeds 10,000 pounds GVW or GVWR and is used in intrastate commerce and travels more than 100 air miles from its customary garage.”
    It pays to search the rules before going through a state.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

With all that in mind, I don't think I would go under a Class 6 truck. Especially when you add 10K in bees and another 8500 in trailer/loader for a long distance haul.

I have done the underpowered/undersized equipment bs and it sucks. Especially ride wise.

[QUOTE=FarmerJ;630336]What's the set-up weigh? Not to mention, have you got it distributed correctly and still under the GWR on the truck and trailer?
    QUOTE]
    Come on, you are going to get me to do the math? Where can i find the average weight of the truck, trailers, and skidder....could someone give me some broad ##s

mike
    Like us on Facebook

Next time you are loaded and go by one of those truck stops w/ a CAT scale. Pull on it and weigh yourself.

The scale is broken into sections so make sure one set of axles are on each pad.

Run inside and get your ticket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast