Default New to Tennessee & the SHB

I moved a few hives this winter from NY to their new home in Central Tennessee. Up north I never had to deal with SHB since I never saw one. I opened up 20 hives yesterday and noticed a few in one or two hives/nucs.

I started searching here and on the internet for articles and have read much today. One thing that concerns me is the lack of a silver bullet, or so it seems. Is there a silver bullet? I will not use a pesticide in the hives, or on the grounds in front of them, so those options are out. What I need is an experienced beekeeper(s) advice with things that really work. I don't want to waste my money on gimmicks and half baked or mediocre performance. Barring a sliver bullet, maybe I have to take up a performance measure that is not the end all, but I sure would like to have a probability of success in the back of my mind when I pick that option.

Questions:

1. How do I protect stored honey boxes from these bugs? Since my mediums are used for honey supers as well as brood boxes I imagine I will need to protect them all the same way.

2. I also moved some honey in boxes from the north down here. What's the best way to protect full honey boxes, besides in the freezer, since freezer space is limited?

3. I have read about many different traps, with varying degrees of success, some on the same trap. I have also read that strong, full sun hives do best. Well, what if my hives are in different stages of health. I have developing NUCs, which I will now not move into full size equipment until they are bursting with bees. However I have some weak hives impacted by a tough northern summer and a late season move. Advice?

4. Some of the traps discussed on other threads are quite pricey, multiply that in increments of 100+ and now we're talking real money. And my time is worth more then the traps themselves. I guess what I am looking for is some advice as to the best bang for my buck.

Any help would be appreciated. I would like to head off the problem as best I can, knowing it is coming. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: New to Tennessee & the SHB

the two most important items are full sunlight (not shaded) and maintain strong hives. there may be more info on the north and south carolina web sites. mike hood from clemson univ has done a lot of research on them. good luck

Full honey boxes need to be extracted or put on strong hives. They are never safe with honey in them off of the hives. It is a little early for bad problems with SHB's but your full honey boxes could be the exception. It is easy by being careless to become a SHB breeder instead of a bee breeder. Welcome to the south.

David

I have not had a terrible problem with SHB here in GA but enough to keep me on my toes. I am going to try spraying some nematodes on the ground around my hives to see if that helps. The Univ of GA did some studies on using nematodes to control SHB with good results according to Dr. Keith Delaplane that spoke at our beekeepers meeting. Here is a link: http://www.sripmc.org/successstory/G...ive_beetle.cfm.
    I talked with Southeastern Insectories (http://southeasterninsectaries.com/custom3_1.html) and got my name on the list to get some H. Indica nematodes that feed on the SHB larvae. You spray the nematodes on the ground around the hives.
    I would rather do this than use chemicals.

I have many hives and have done many test.
    -bottom board oil traps. works but cost to much and weekley refills
    -beetle jail. doesn't catch all the beetles and cost to much
    -beetle eaters. don't work.
    -political signs. don't work messy and clog up.
    -catnip, tansies, and douglas fir. doesn't work. angry bees. ouch
    -jewel cd cases baited. works and cheep
    -beetle barns baited. works little expensive
    -strong hives in sun. bees fan alot more and bring in more beetles
    -strong hive. lots of stores for beetles lol. find more in strong than weak.
    -partial shade with cedar trees. less beetles but angry bees.lol owe
    -split hive down to one deep and med. less beetles. all are in the stronger hive.
    -shade less beetle. unproductive bees. sleeping in.
    -load all the hives in the yard on a truck at night drive around a few hours and unload hives. It works but some other beekeeper got more beetles.
    -spray around the yard at night with permethron. kills a life cycle. works
    - slimmed hive, beetle maggots everywhere. put in ant beds and wash with clorox and water. works gotta love the ants.
    best results was the cd traps and spraying the yard every 3 months. Have not lost a hive since 2008 and bees are happy. You can also place a cd trap at the entrance for quick inspection. I put one on top of the brood and at the entrance.

Smile Re: New to Tennessee & the SHB

I use the screen bottom board with the oil pan , only change the oil about 4 times a year. I changed the standerd bb by moving the back 3\4 cleat to the frount,add a 1\4 in riser to the frount and side so their is room for the tray to slid in the back, then put the #8 screen on with a few stappels with the back of the screen turnd up to stapple to the back 3\4 by 3\4 riser.the two side riser that the hive rest on are then screwd down. Make a 3\4 by 1 in filler to slide in the back to keep the bees out of the oil tray. It only cost me about $3 per hiveto convert to this screen bb or just buy one . And copy it to make your own. Good luck rock.

That would be the best thing to do with a screen bottom board. I sold or threw away everyone I had. I liked them at first. The bees just didn't perform as well with them.