Hybrid View

Default Need your opinion finger joints!!!

I couldn't help but noticing that a LOT of people/companies are switching (maybe they did awhile ago but on this scale is new to me) to 1" fingers on their joints. I am still cutting out the 3/4" fingers.

Questions:
    Which one do you prefer and why?
    Which one do you think will hold better?
    Should I switch to the 1" fingers?

Default Re: Need your opinion finger joints!!!

I hadn't even noticed 1" wide finger joints. I haven't purchased any new boxes for a very long time. Most of my boxes/supers were cut with 7/8" wide fingers. What depth boxes/supers are you referring to? What manufacturer(s) are making these 1" wide finger jointed boxes?

I was thinking that 1" wide finger joints should be nearly the same, durability-wise, as 3/4" finger joints.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

All size boxes, mediums, deeps, etc. I know a few local people who make and sell them are doing 1", QRC, and several others at the tri-county meeting seemed to be using them (could have easily been 7/8th just eyeing stuff) I just flipped through a recent mann lake catalog and counting the joints there are 9 fingers + the 5/8 frame rest on a deep in there picture so that would be 1" fingers to make it a 9 5/8 box. (figuring that they are cutting a 1" exact slot for a 1" exact finger which is the way I do it.)

Good grief Charlie Brown! This is a major revolution in the woodenware business. Why, who would have ever even considered that an increase of 1/4" in the joint size would happen in our lifetime. Just awesome technology and blinding speed of advancement.

I can not say that I have seen 1" box joints, but there has been a gradual reduction in the number of nails used in the corner. I am still upset they changed from 13/16 to 3/4 inch thick wood. We still have alot of the 13/16" deeps. Some of the best deeps are the old A.I.Root, with the relief for the frame rabbet so that when you scrap the inside surface, the rabbet is not proud.

I have a deep from 1946, if you would like me to measure it.

Crazy Roland

One of the new cuts makes it difficult, nothing is impossible with a big enough hammer, to put them together with the ends upside-down..
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com