Default When do bears wake up?

Does anyone have any knowledge of when the black bears decide its time to wake up and start looking for bee yards without working fences in Wisconsin?

My uncle says they probably wont wake up till end of the month. I am going to try to get out this week and dig the snow out from under wires and such and get my fences working. We got a lot of snow this year so its going to be a bit of fun. Ill have to disconnect the bottom wire for now.

It would really suck to go through all that I have to get half my bees through winter only to have smoky come finish them off.

Default Re: When do bears wake up?

They normally wake when there will be food available for them. Some have been out and about already.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

As Beeslave stated the show up when food is available. Bears dont actually hibernate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernation
    In the 80's I lived on Kodiak Island and there would be about 2 - 3 months that we wouldn't see a bear track anywhere. On occasion big food (and smell) like a dead whale would wash up on the beach and we would find bear tracks within a week.

In this neck of the woods (northern New Mexico) the bears often don't hibernate at all. They move from the mountains to the foothills in the winter. I ususally only see bear track around my apiary in December / January. My fence is on all year round because there seems to be more exceptions to the rules than rules being followed...
    Last edited by Ardilla; 03-14-2011 at 11:34 AM.

in my area spring bear season is about that same time as Skunk Cabbage srouts up - that is bears first food of the year here - then they move to other stuff -

hope this can help
    Doing the Right things Right
    http://thevalleysbuzz.webs.com/

This week is going to have some 40 degree days, and maybe even a 50 degree day. I think you're on the right track , now is the time to stop smokey.

Talk to a fish cop (fish&game) in your area or state, they may have a study ongoing and be able to give you a good idea. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

They do not hibernate over the winter here in Alabama. I think they spend all their free time roaming the river bottoms and swamps looking for my beeyards. When these "honeybears" get through, you have toothpicks. Our bears are smaller, about half the size of northern bears but they can still do the damage. And get this==you do not dare shoot one--protected!! TK

When your out cross country skiing and say this looks like a good spot to make a snow fort for the night....
    Honeydew