Default pollen trap questions

First of all, how well do the top mounted pollen traps work? Should you close off the bottom entrance and give them a top entrance for a few days before putting on the top mounted trap? I like the idea of the top trap because its less work installing it and removing it. I don't plan on trapping alot of pollen, just want to get a little every now and then for my own consumption. Thanks, John

Default Re: pollen trap questions

Haven't personally used them but the reports (here and elsewhere) are positive; that's the type I'll use this year. Yes you would need to train the bees to use top entrances first; see Michael Bush's paean to top entrances on his excellent website.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Brewcat's got it right! By all logic, someday 100% of pollen traps will be top entrance. The 'problem' is training the BEEKEEPER, not the bees.

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

Top traps are really awesome...will post pics of the trap FULL of pollen.

mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

I just ordered one, I think it would be the best all around trap for me. Thanks, John

I'll use this thread to ask a question instead of creating another. Do the bees pass through a hole in a single strip of mesh to get the pollen to fall or do they pass through a kind of hallway with mesh on both sides that rubs the pollen off?

Most seem to have a double layer of #5 hardware cloth. The bees lose some of their pollen when the pollen catches on the wire and pops out of the pollen basket and falls down into the drawer.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

MBush is correct. 5-mesh wire means woven wire that has five openings to the inch. Pollen traps are also made from perforated metal, but those also have 5 holes to the inch (but have real problems until the burrs from perforation get worn off).

The woven wire traps 'mostly' have two layers of five mesh, separated by 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch and the bees have to get through both of them.

Yes, the bees have to go through the holes.

Probably more information than you are interested in, but bees can get through 6 mesh wire, and cannot get through 7 mesh. We tried 6 mesh some 20 years ago, but felt it removed too much pollen and settled on 5 mesh. All of our many imitators seem to have also chosen to use 5 mesh.

For those on the list who use the more advanced metric system, the opening sizes are:
    5 mesh=.508cm; 6 mesh=.423cm; 7 mesh=..363cm

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

I've just finished the plans for the "Hosterman" style pollen trap. This is the kind the Lusby's have used. It will hold about two weeks worth of pollen.

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...sterman-style/
    Regards, Barry

Last year I used two of the top traps. Since I usually have a couple of two queen colonies with bottom and top entrances, the top trap is a natural fit. The first time I opened the trap I couldn't believe how much pollen they had collected.
    Actually, as a side note -> the two queen colony works well for me when making comb honey in Ross Rounds. Now that's two items from Lloyd. On second thought, we get our labels from them as well.

Hi,
    I am considering using a pollen trap. What do I need to know about how to dry the pollen once collected?
    Thanks,
    Tim

Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but i recieved a bottom trap for christmas. do i just place it on the bottom board. If i do that what stops them from going under the trap? I feel stupid asking this but i've looked at this thing for 4 months and still cant figure out exactly how it works. Vance

Quote Originally Posted by Vance View Post
    i've looked at this thing for 4 months and still cant figure out exactly how it works. Vance
    It replaces the bottom board completely, also make sure there is no top openings or they will never go through the trap...
    Honeydew

My pollen trap sits on top of the bottom board..and my bee's don't pass thru any mesh the walk over it which I like better since some pollen makes it into the hive. I must say though, if I get another one it will be a porch trap or a top trap, once this thing is on you have to disassemble the entire hive if you want it back off, and it has become a haven for roaches. The trap I have is from BetterBee and you can turn it "on & off". I think the most interesting thing is how the bee's reacted to the loss of pollen, they dramatically stepped up pollen foragers by day three
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries