Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Takin' It On The Road.

So how many nucs will you wind up taking back North? How many did the bear destroy? Will you drive straight through? Used to do that in my NE days.... Be careful - drive safe!

Had the pleasure of meeting Mark ( sqkcrk) and sharing a meal with him and some fo his friends in SC.
    Well, it wasn't BBQ but it wasn't bad.

I like that BBQ place in Baxley, GA, I think it's called J&L it's right down the road from Gardners. I look forward to that meal every year.

Herb,
    I'm taking home 106 5 frame nucs. The bear got 2 or 3. It's hard to tell.

Got up this morning at 4:30. Got out to the bee yard at about 5:30. Loaded the nucs on the truck and when I was climbing down off of the nucs, after pullling back the net, I slipped on the damp deck and went flat w/ my left knee hitting first. I was able to get the rest of the stuff and the Bobcat loaded. But boy, what a pain in the knee every time I had to use the clutch.

I'm up in Pine Grove, PA. Exit 100 on Rt. 81. I have never been able to drive 1,000 miles w/out sleeping, even when I was young. What's the hurry anyway. If I really try to push it, and sleep in the truck, I'm not worth much for a cpl of days. So I always catch a Motel half way up to home.

My trucker, Ken, called about a half hour ago. He left SC yesterday at noon and had just pulled in to his home in NY a half hour before he called me. Lucky guy carries his bed w/ him. He'll go over to my house and leaver his rig there tomorrow morning, after removing the nets. He's a keeper.

I still have a load to go back for, but maybe not until after the bees go into the orchards. Gotta let my knee heal.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Mark
    Really sorry to hear about your knee injury. Better be careful with those knee injuries can really be trouble some times. I had a similar incident the other night while loading bees out of the blue berries. I was up on the deck trying to adjust some hives and slipped big time... completely went up into the air and landed flat on my back in the soft sand. I was really lucky as it is a fair distance from that deck to the ground. I was really lucky to just have the wind knocked out of me big time.
    Carlene says you ought to get some ice on that knee right now! She says after 24 hours the ice will do no good. Also she says get some aspirin in you... blood clots are what she worries about.

Holy Halleluia, Home at last. after a long time away from home I'm glad to be back where I belong, where all of the buttons on my truck radio are set for North Country Public Radio.

I got home today at 2:30 and my trucker, Ken, and I got the semi unloaded and my truck load of nucs too. We're getting a mild shower and we are suppose to have rain during the next two days.

Before I got here a Concerned Citizen called the State Troopers on Ken, because my road has a weight limit restriction. But the Trooper didn't give him a ticket. Even w/ the weight limit an truck of higher weight is allowed to deliver or pick up a load or be there if the gtrucker lives on the road. Which the Trooper didn't know. But he had to investigate since someone called in a complaint. We're pretty sure it wasn't anyone on my road.

It sure is nice to be home and to take a shower in my own bathroom, after two days on the road. My butt is sore. lol.

As an occasional Quad axle Dump truck driver that grosses 73,000 lbs, it is VERY helpful if the driver has a piece of paper requesting he deliver the load to the address in question. The officer then has proof that the truck is making a delivery, not taking a short cut on load limited roads. On occasion they will make us drive out of the way on State roads, to minimize the mileage on "light" roads.

This does NOT allow you to deliver overweight on bridges that have a rating, just roads.

Crazy Roland

My trucker was parked where we unloaded the hives, w/ a loadc of beehives, right in front of my building which has the namew of my business on it. So, apparently, it was obvious to the Trooper that Ken was doing what he said he was doing. Delivering a load of bees.

Like Ken said, If the concerned citizen were that conserned he could have followed the truck another half mile and asked Ken if he were lost. I hope the Trooper or someone got back to the one reporting that they were over concerned.

Left home early monday morn, arrived in the bee yard in SC about 4:30 tuesday, cool and rainy cloudy day, no flight, loaded twenty pallets on the truck and beat it back to NC for the night. Had stopped at Fayetteville Exit to meet a new customer and drop off some honey. Seems to be scarce 'round here. Don't imagine getting home to day, but sometime tomorrow. Barring any mishapps. Truck seems to be running alright.

Made it up to PA on 81 @ Exit 119. Should be home tomorrow afternoon.Awful rain along 81 below Harrisburg. Had to slow down to 45.

mark, glad your bad luck is behind you. your lucky for the rain. there is nothing better than rain in hot weather when hauling bees. we have 100 more nucs to bring up from sc the first week in june. this is later than usual but they can't work in the rain anyway. hopefully the weather will straighten out soon. happy beekeeing

I'd expect that they would have swarmed a cpl of times by the end of June. When did you make them? How strong?

Arrived home at 3:00 PM today. 81 hours round trip. Over 2,000 miles driven. Fastest round trip I've ever done. Not that I was racing anyone. Just wanted to get it over and done with.

nucs were made 1st week in may. they were walk away splits so the queen will be laying about a week when we pick them up. they were made with 3 frames brood 1 honey and 1 empty. half were 5 frame boxes and the other half were in 10 frame supers. we use 6 5/8 supers for everthing.

No longer on the road. Got all of the hives out of the orchards. The last pallet out this morning. Set thwe load off in a yard so some yds can dry out before I put hives in them. High getting stuck probabilty w/ all the rain we have had. Moving a yd away from home tomorrow morning and then supering the rest of the day. Nectar shaking out today.

35th Anniversery today.

100 queens coming at the end of the week, I hope. Gotta get the rest of the pallets filled up.

Installed a yd this morning, then supered it. Supered two more yds too. Saw a snake in the stack of supers in the last yd. Must have been waiting for a snack to walk by.

Nectar shakimng out. Bees bringing in pale yellow pollen. Gotta get more supers on asap. Hope to have more queens soon.