Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Takin' It On The Road.

The nucs, or the bear? I guess the bear thought they were just about right for the picking.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Probably loaded with brood... nice laying queen... that would be about what the bear would like.

Imagine so. Do you think they can tell before they open them? The full size hive it knocked over wasn't much to brag about. Better than 5 frame nuc, but not twice the size.

Jon, another bee buddy of mine, figures it was just getting started and probably a young one w/ not much bee eating experience. I hope it stays that way. I have had cols in that yard every year for 6 months a year for 10 or 12 years. The first bear I ever had in SC.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I really do not know... but I suspect they can smell them. Bear hunters around here say the bears are beginning to move this time of year. We had a coupla bad bear hits last year.. pulled all the remaining collonies out and kept them out for about a month... put up a good e-fence and then put them back in. So gar no problem.... maybe that they had just migrated on through.

Oh... should have said this earlier... guess you have gotten all your hives and nucs out of there by now.... cause that bear will be back... tonight.

Yes, that's what I did right away as soon as I figured out it was a bear. No desire to feed it any more.

Good.... bear-deer population I have been told are really on the big time increase in this area (and you are in this area imo). I grew up rarely seeing a deer and never a bear... now it's not unusual at all. Also we see wild turkeys everyday of our lives... course we hang out in some pretty weird place... but thats the way I like it.

I thought there were a lot of hunters??

I saw a bobcat this past week. Never saw one of those before outside of a Zoo.

Hunters? No bear season. And a local guy told me he would be in less trouble if he shot me.

sorry I thought this was about a vehicle breakdown
    Last edited by Vance G; 04-23-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Not sure what you are refering to.

You won't get no good bbq in SC. Hopefully you're close enough to Ga to come get him some.

No, no where near close enuf to GA. But I do have fond memories of BBQ joints near Rt. 95 in south GA.

I have enjoyed BBQ in MD, VA, NC, GA and SC. I'm an equal opportunity BBQ consumer. I'd love to go on a Travel Channel BBQ Joint Hunt. Some of the best was at a roadside joint near Wmsbg, VA.

Sqkcrk, tried to send you a PM but you box is full....
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Nasty nasty nasty. Who puts danged ol vinegar in bbq sauce.
    You know what the best thing to ever come outta SC is..... Interstate 85

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    And a local guy told me he would be in less trouble if he shot me.
    Bears are moving back into Ohio, mainly eastern Ohio so far. I know if you shoot one you will have some 'splaining to do!

Tom

A few years ago I watched a small black bear eat a yellow jacket nest. It did not take him long to do it either. The yellow jacket stings only seemed to excite him and whet his appetite for more. I can "garontee" you that a bear can dig like an old John Deere and push hives over like a Caterpillar. Better safe than sorry.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrod6779 View Post
    Nasty nasty nasty. Who puts danged ol vinegar in bbq sauce...
    Shoo, nasty, nasty, who puts danged ol "maters" in bbq sause as long as they got them some pepper and vinegar?
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Hey Mark,
    If you come any where near me on the turn around, give a heads up. Be great to do a face to face. My treat if you want to do Chesapeake cuisine.

Would love to Rick. But when I get on the road w/ bees I only stop to fuel up, eat and then sleep. Maybe in the fall, when I am on my way home empty.

Thanks for the invite. Hvae a BBQ Sandwich at B&J and think of me. Southern Style w/ coleslaw.

Got the semi loaded and on the road by noon today. Getting up early tomorreow morning and loading my nucs and heading North myself. Things aren't so great, weatherwise and forage wise, in NY at this time, but I can't wait to get home.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast