Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Takin' It On The Road.

Arrived alive. Truck running well. I never noticed that whurring sound before. When I stopped at three yards to drop off equipment I left the truck running at idle while I unstrapped the equipment and the loader. Then, standing outside the door, I shut the engine off and heard a fan like sound for a quarter of a minute or so. Was that the turbo? Is it supposed to sound like that?

Didn't open any hives, but flight looked good. Bringing in pollen. Will get into some hives tomorrow and start raising up brood for nucs.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I thought you must be having better luck, as there were no posts today. maybe your bad luck is over. we have lots of supers on and will not go down until mid apr to split. plan on making about 130 nucs. looks like you have good weather for working. good luck

If you have heavy duty cooling on the truck it could be the fan ( or secondary) continuing to run to help cool down the radiator
    Think about it....Buy American

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    If you have heavy duty cooling on the truck it could be the fan ( or secondary) continuing to run to help cool down the radiator
    Remember a turbo under load may run at tens of thousands of RPMs. Could be a little turbo run on. I would think that your truck had a HD fan clutch, the kind you can hear or even feel kick in or out depending on engine temperture, speed, and road speed. When this type of fan clutch engages it sounds like a banshee moaning.

I don't see a Super Duty having an electric cooling fan. I could be wrong, stuff happens and things change.

The engine or heater/AC fan may be running on after shut down, and you're noticing it now, or you could have a fan belt idler or tension pulley not quite snug enough.

The engine smoke is worrisome. If the turbo seals are leaking, you will pump engine oil past the bearings and directly into the intake or exaust manifolds, creating smoke. Watch the engine oil level closely for a while. If you kept your old turbo look into rebuilding it and keeping it as a back up or re-installing it on your truck. I can guarantee you (almost) that the price the Ford dealer quoted your wrench is for a rebuilt unit.

There is a cooling system additive used to prevent water pump cavitations in selected Henry Diesels, find out if this additive is recomemded for your model.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

If you are stranded, send up smoke signals and help will come a running. TK

Thanks TK. If I ever get to 'bama, you bet.

Got into some hives today. Went thru the twenty palllets that I hadn't the last time I was here. Reversed them. In those who I pulled frames from to check, I saw a good amount of food in the cells which contained larvae. Which is what Roland had asked me to check. Brood patterns look good so far, for the most part.

Mark, you seeing any swarm cells yet?? We are here in Bama. TK

Not yet. But I have only been thru about 100 colonies.

Mark how are the bees looking , almost loaded will finish on thir should I hurry or can I take my time...

If your bees are like mine, no ral need to hurry. Not considering how fast you work when you get here.

Worked one yard today. 20 pallets. No swarm cells seen today. Plenty of brood in the strong cols that I threw another deep up on three weeks ago. Some of them, the queen must have jumped right up there and got to work, cause there is sealed brood in that third deep too. Which was empty three weeks ago. Sealed brood.

Nectar was shaking out. Bees were really working. No AFB seen. No mites seen in broken brood from between supers. No Small Hive Beetles seen. Leaving drone brood untouched for now. I want there to be plenty drones around when I install the queen cells. Which I hope to get Thursday or Friday.

BBQ friday evening at 6:00? Next week I want to go over to NC to dine w/ Herb Macintyre and family. I hear they know a place that serves the best chitlin's anywhere. Which, to me, is an oxymoron. The words "best" and "chitlin's" in the same sentence.
    I hope they are Kosher. heh,heh.

"Kosher Chitlins"... now that is truly an oxymoron! Have no fear but we will not subject you guys to an "All U can eat Chitlin? establishment. Bring TED with you... we might as well meet all the upstaters.

Are you getting your queens from the same place we are getting ours... Manning? Is your HFCS pumping down there yet... not here. We have used sucrose for the first round out in the BB fields.

Now that we have been through them all it does appear that it was not a bad winter on the bees. Lots of brooding up so guess they are getting some protein off the early blue berries. Those late paddies did not hurt either.

You know... I could bring you a small sample of Chitlins to taste... if you like?

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    ... they know a place that serves the best chitlin's anywhere....
    What type of chitlins? The stomp whooped and creek washed ones are the best. Yum!
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

My nephew tells me that since they are from SC that they must be "Stump Beat" and "Violated"! Not sure what he meant by the last part

Yes Herb. Getting QCs from Chuck. Syrup pump is in NY. No need for it now, for sure. I do have some syrup you can have, if you want it. I'll give it to ya. It's looking kinda white right now, but still liquid.

No thanks. had a chitlin' in my mouth one time. tasted it for two days afterwords. Maybe some white woulda cleaned that stuff away. But I couldn't find the local Sheriff to get any from.

Moved cols, from under previously raised brood above excluders, to vacant places on other pallets, leaving the box of brood where the col had been. The idea being that the flying bees will return to where they are oriented, even the ones that leave the hive which is now in another place. Plus, I don't have to move the box of brood or the original col to another yard.

Getting queen cells tomorrow morning to install tomorrow afternoon. Once I have something on each corner of all of the pallets I'll start making nucs. Using an idea I stole from a friend of mine who makes 1500 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Using an idea I stole from a friend of mine who makes 1500 or so.
    well share the idea so we don't have to steal it from you
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Gotta go eat some BBQ and meet some fellow beekeepers from NY. I'll get back to ya later.

Mmm, that was nice. Good eats and good company.

Well, what Chuck does to make up nucs is he has a nuc box w/ a detachable bottom. Build a bottom board that will fit under a nuc super. The BB has two wood clips on one side and a screw on the front end and a screw on the back end. Same on the nuc super, a screw front and back. And then, of course, a cover.

What ya do when you want to make up nucs is you have a queen excluder for each nuc you are going to make. Take the excluder, nuc bottom board, nuc cover and nuc super, w/ frames (foundation preferably this time of year. Go to the hive you want to pull brood from and take the frames you want in your nuc, shaking the bees off of them. Then shove everything away from yourself and replace the frames taken w/ the foundation or comb.

Put the frames of brood, frame of pollen and frame of honey in the nuc box w/ the last two frames of foundation. Put the queen excluder on the hive. Put the nuc box on half of the excluder, w/ the cover on it. Put the Bottom Board on the other half. Leave it over night.

Come back the next day. Set the nuc on the bottom board and wire the bottom board to the nuc super. Oh, yeah. Concrete form wires are necassary. The loop on one end will fit over the screw head of the bottom board and then wrap the wire around the screws on the ends of the nuc box. Stuff the entrance and put the nuc on the trruck or on the pallet. Take them to another yard.

Come back the next day and put a queen cell in each one.

I went and got queens cells today, about 75 of them. Got a variety. That being some VSH, some Carnis and some Italians. I was able to use 70 of them. The other 5 I'll use tomorrow. Then I'll go through the colonies and work towards making more nucs and splits for the cells coming in a week.

Weather has been nice, 82 today. Nectar and pollen coming in. Saw some dandelion today. Yellow jasmin, which we don't want the bees visiting, has been in bloom for a while. I'm not sure what else is out there in the swamps along the Pee Dee. I'm better at bees than flowers. I leave it to the bees to know which ones to work.
    Last edited by sqkcrk; 03-18-2011 at 06:40 PM.

[QUOTE=sqkcrk;631367]

Put the frames of brood, frame of pollen and frame of honey in the nuc box w/ the last two frames of foundation. Put the queen excluder on the hive. Put the nuc box on half of the excluder, w/ the cover on it. Put the Bottom Board on the other half. Leave it over night.

Weather has been nice, 82 today. Nectar and pollen coming in. /QUOTE]

thats pretty much how I do it without the nuc box, I put them in deeps and transfer.

I wouldn't stay down there to long, your blood will thin out and you will freeze when you get back. made it all the way up to 55 last two days, snowed last night, I just put my tobogan away yesterday as the only yard that is still snowed in is at my house. 82 degrees

never saw bees smile before as they were getting out for the first time, bee suit is a mess.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post

thats pretty much how I do it without the nuc box, I put them in deeps and transfer.

I wouldn't stay down there to long, your blood will thin out and you will freeze when you get back.
    Me too.

Naw, that doesn't really happen. Not in my experience. I take it you're joking.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast