Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Small Hive Beetle damage to hives;

Quote Originally Posted by rgould View Post
    ... I had 2 hives with screened inner covers and 2 hives with solid inner covers and the SHB were not nearly as bad in the hives with the screened inner covers...
    I made some homemade "feeder" screens using large mesh screen my first year and set an empity super over them. They just gave SHBs a place to escape the wrath of the bees and sit in safety and comfort while the SHB made rude hand jesters at my girls.

Migratory lids or T lids and small mesh screened inner covers force SHB to live with the wrath of the bees or find somewhere else to live. From the SHB-bee interactions that I've seen, I suspect bees hate SHBs more that USCBeeMan hates them! Now if someone made ittisy bittsy hive tools the bees could use to squash SHB there would be no SHB problems.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Man, I didn't realize how many of you guys have the SHB in their hives. Looks like I opened up a can of WORMS but the exchange is good. Lots of good information from all you guys. Maybe we can learn what works and what doesn't from all the other fellows experiences. The Cyrpuss mulch sounds interesting, has anyone else tried it and what was your results. Thanks for everyone sharing. Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    What is the best way to treat for them?
    The best way to treat for them is thru good hive managment, keeping strong colonies in your hives. A strong/healthy colony can manage a certain level of SHBs. When they get ahead of the bees, then you have to resort to control methods. But your first job in addressing the problem should be why are they a problem? And then go from there.

Others w/ more experience of SHBs being a problem will and can tell you about the control methods and mediums. Best of beekeeping luck.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    When they get ahead of the bees, then you have to resort to control methods.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to use the control measures before "they get ahead of the bees?"

Am curious to hear whether anyone has used the Fatbeeman's traps and technique (see the youtube video) and found that it did not work.

Well, it would, I guess. But to tell you when that is is too subjective and if pesticides are necassary I don't advocate propholactic use of them. Tho I guess oil bath traps are not really a problem that I know of pesticidewise.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

If you have enough bees to cover the drawn combs in the hive they are not a problem. Don't start a nuc with 2 frames of bees and ten frames of drawn comb. Start a nuc with 2 frames of brood and bees and a frame of feed. Fill out the box with foundation. If you use a ripe cell or a mated queen the population of bees will stay enough to keep the SHB's at bay until the queen starts lying. SHB are not a problem until the weather gets hot. The hotter it gets the more careful you have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by JRH View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to use the control measures before "they get ahead of the bees?"...
    I don't know that any kind of control measures are best since all traps, even those using a chemical pesticide, employ some type of bait or lure to first draw in, or ensnare the SHB before killing them. The question is, “are we attracting more SHB than we kill or do we kill more SHB than we attract?” If the latter is true would not SHB soon be on the EPA’s Endangered Species List?

IMHO, at the end of the day, beetle resistant bees coupled with changes in bee husbandry (like those recommended by T.K. from Alabama) will be more important than "control" measures. For instance, it seems to me a weak nuc or late split plays to the SHB strength. It may even come down to things like nixing kitchen and home garden compost heaps. It seems SHB will abandon several strong hives in order to gang up on a single weak one. SHB are only interested in using a hive as a nursery, and to do this the SHB need to idenify the weak hive before ganging up to overpower the bees.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Last summer I had 6 hives. I have four of them on a reclaimed gravel pit. The ground is hard and filled with rocks. While I have some shb in those hives I have never had to treat them with anything. However, the other hives are a different story. The ground under these hives is soft. These hives I have to really watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Davebcrzy View Post
    ... The ground under these hives is soft. These hives I have to really watch.
    Red land, Gray land, Sandy land, Delta land or Black Belt land?

It is delta land

Soil PH plays a part on how well the "bug from hell" is able to reproduce and pupate. Something else you have to realize. The SHB is a sap beetle and has alternate hosts outside and away from beehives. In simple terms, there is something else out in the woods that this critter eats and lives on and it "aint" beehives. That is why it is SO hard to eradicate. A beehive to a Small hive beetle is basically a combination buffet, bordello and travels rest station. The scientist that bee, need to figure out a way to irradiate and sterilize this critter. Thus release the sterile females or males, then cause the species to collapse, like they did the screwworm fly. TK

Quote Originally Posted by Davebcrzy View Post
    It is delta land
    I've read that SHB larva and pupa do well in sandy land. In red land and clay gray land not so well. I guess the Delta's alluvial soil is sandy enough.

But if SHB can fly 5 miles a day I don't see now it matters unless the SHB is somehow judging how easy it will be for its larva to pupate in the soil around our hives.

Re: Small Hive Beetle damage to hives;

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapfe View Post
    “are we attracting more SHB than we kill or do we kill more SHB than we attract?” If the latter is true would not SHB soon be on the EPA’s Endangered Species List?

IMHO, at the end of the day, beetle resistant bees coupled with changes in bee husbandry
    It's actually the strong colonies that attract shb to the yard (especially through fanning in the summer heat... those little boogers can smell 2ppb (parts per billion) of bee bread from miles away... so the baits within the traps are no threat in comparison to the actual hive itself...

Shb also thrive on pulpy fruits... so melons that get busted or left in the fields due to size or shape, trash heaps, peach orchards after harvest, etc... are all major beetle factories... thats why they always get worse in the summer after the harvests... its the next generations after sliming the rotting fruit... that's also why they will keep coming back, no matter how many we kill in the bee yards...

We have been working on a hygienic strain called "Tigers" that is not deterred by the slime... thus they are able to clean out the shb larvae as it hatches... which means no more losses... but they will not be ready to release until 2012 at the earliest...

Hope this helps!

The species is more like saturation bombing. There are so many of them, a couple of them will find the right beehive sitting on the right soil in any geographic area. Then BINGO, reproduction, and a gazillion more hive beetles. TK

Regarding the prophylactic use of pesticides ...

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    to tell you when that is is too subjective and if pesticides are necassary I don't advocate propholactic use of them. Tho I guess oil bath traps are not really a problem that I know of pesticidewise.
    ... this comment makes me wonder if you have seen the video. The "pesticide" recommended is good old boric acid. The attractant is Crisco.

Am curious to hear whether anyone has used the Fatbeeman's traps and technique (see the youtube video) and found that it did not work, particularly if used before the hive is infested.

Quote Originally Posted by rrussell6870 View Post
    It's actually the strong colonies that attract shb to the yard ...Shb also thrive on pulpy fruits... melons that get busted or left in the fields due to size or shape, trash heaps, peach orchards after harvest, etc...
    That is why I suggested that in the future, garden and kitchen compost heaps would be verboten to beekeepers.

What is the likely hood that a smaller entrance or one not as easy for shb to navigate will help the problem?

Do you feel the current 10-frame by 3/4 inch entrance is inviting SHB damage?

The day I started again with bees I picked up my packages at the post office. That was also the day I saw my first SHB, it was cringing behind a wooden brace and the package wire. I am kind of a hard-shelled old reprobate and not one to humanize an insect, but I swear 2 the all mighty that my bees glare at SHB.

Jrh,

The political sign pieces have too small of an opening for the large adult female shb... and guess which beetles are the ones that lay eggs... lol... the second issue that we noted was in cases where there was a leaking wall or top, the water would spread the boric acid along the bottom board after the beetles had borrowed through the Cisco...

Most are using roach gel mixed with fermented pollen bait inside of traps so that bees cannot access it...

Scrapfe,

Entrance reducers are a great help in beetle control... of course during swarm season, they need to be open... baited traps, clean bee yards, good tops, and a mixture of full sun and afternoon shade are huge helps as well... keep in mind that its the pollen that the beetles are attracted by and the jelly in the brood cells that they want to eat most...

How has the Beetle Juice worked for you?

I wonder how the use of screened bottoms for mites has hurt us by giving beetles easy access and an even easier way to get larvae back to the ground

What about placing the CD trap design under the hive with Roach killer/fipronil in it? Lay it on the cinder blocks or hive stand?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast