Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Small Hive Beetle damage to hives;

What is the effect of small hive beetles on Honey Bee hives? What should I look for? What is the best way to treat for them?

Default Re: Small Hive Beetle damage to hives;

If the hive is strong there isn't much effect, around here anyway, but let the hive get weak and, well, it is MUCH worse than wax moths. What to look for, little black beetles on the inner cover or tops of the frames, sometimes my bees will build a propolis wall around them which keeps them pinned up until I pull the frame and let them loose. There are lots of different opinions on your last question....I personally use the Freeman trap but have been eying the beetle blaster as well.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

I hope you never have many problems with the bug from hell. There are actually two very related species of them here in the USA. Both are from South Africa. We seem to have both types here in Alabama. One has the unique character of causing the honey to ferment and run out the entrance of the hive. The larvae will be crawling around in greasy WADS. In other words the colony was slimed. The other species is just as lethal. But it frasses and powders the colony. So if you see a yellow tan powder out the front of your beehive, you can rest assured hive beetles were the culprit. Tip the colony back and take a stick and rake around in the powder. You will see thousands of beetle larvae in the powder. USE SUNLIGHT(it is lethal to beetles and larvae) and FIREANTS (like to eat the larvae) to your advantage. Keep strong colonies. We do not work our bees invasively in late July and August. We have found out that the less you mess with your bees in the South during that time the less bee hives we loose. Traps help. But in the long run, adjust your management to mitigate the effects of hive beetles. TK

This is just my experience and nothing more but worth note.
    We have some 10,000 sq,ft. of flower beds here. After moving back here after some years away they all had to be renovated. After weed genocide we started putting down 6-8 inches of shredded cypress mulch. Much to my amazement the fire ants avoided the beds like the plague. (Cypress contains natural insect repellants.) With a bit of trepidation I tried mulching under my hives. They are raised 2 feet above ground level so it didn't bother the bees at all but................
    Shazam no fire ants and no shb. Granted I didn't have a great problem before but in theory the mulch would prevent them from reaching the soil and thusly interupt their lifecycle. Just a theory.

I have a personal problem with those “things”; they seem to like my bee’s honey as much as I like it.
    The hives they are allowed to take over seem to never recover. I will be disassembling a couple, and will be giving them new boxes and discarding the old frames and giving them a new set of frames –maybe they will recover then. Robert Russell explains it real well. According to my interpretation of his teachings, the beetles will slime the hives and leave their fragrance as an attractive to other “things” and the queens will not use those slimed frames anymore; that is what is happening with my frames. There are no beetles now, but the queen will not touch the areas previously contaminated.

I am going to treat the soil and stabilize it to bring it to 95+ density, by simply applying special compounds. Concrete is better –I know, but out of the question due to cash constrains. I am treating the ground around the hives to simulate “soil cement”. Since the recommended drenching treatment is only 3’ in front of the hive, I will mimic that.
    Now, I seriously doubt these evil creatures can bring a bulldozer and dig down thru 4” of treated soil cement plus an underlayment of lime to propagate.

You are going to have to use a lot of cement. The larvae will crawl nine to twelve feet away from the hive to pupate. TED

This is not cement I am talking about, it is some “green” product derived from tree sap.
    It is a binder that closes the spaces between the molecules that compose soil.
    It is used for dust control or soil stabilizer.
    The process is similar to what in engineering terms is call “soil cement”

I hate hive beetles. They destroyed several of my hives last year. The best thing I did was put my hives in full sun and installed Freeman hive beetle traps. I tried the little black hive beetle trap, but didn't have much luck.

The FatBeeMan has a video on youtube that has been seen 12,678 times. In it, he shows how to make a small hive beetle trap out of inexpensive materials.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_KDPp8H6PU

It takes practically no time to make and install.

Would someone who has tried this please comment? (We don't have SHBs in Vermont, so I have no idea.) If it does, I am amazed that so many people report so much trouble with SHBs.

I tried those traps; no luck with them.
    Tried the oil traps, some luck.
    Have screen bottoms and oil pans or oiled sheets, some luck.

Now I will be trying Russells' BeetleJuice, will tell you how I did.

Lost over 20 colonies to them last year. Many were super strong hives at first.

Larva will travel up to 100' (maybe more)! Not 20-30'.

Used Hood traps, AJ Beetle Eaters, Beetle Blasters, trays with DE with some results but not enough to control the SHBs when you see them by the 100s at a time thoughout a hive.

I have gone through a hive frame by frame and killed better than 90% off each frame and still loose the hive.

I HATE THEM!!!!

Will try some tarp this year and (since I read above) cypress mulch.

3 hives are already infested and it's just early March in TN!!

Made up some kill traps using corrogated plastic, old Crisco, and boric acid. Stapled them to the top of frames.
    De Colores,
    Ken

WE HATE THEM TOO!!!

We put together about 100 nucs last summer... 41 made it!! The reason 59 did not make it was SHB. We seem to lose them at the point that they went from the Nuc to the hive body. They really have to build up fast or the SHB get them. We moved the nuc yard a few miles and even that didn't help. This year we have already soaked the nuc yard with GardStar... hope that helps. Their probably is something to the admonition about not manipulating the hives too much. Our well established hives seem to be able to control the SHB.

I dare not have more than two honey supers on a hive at one time, which means I'm harvesting all summer long. But if I add that third it seems there aren't enough bees to properly patrol the area and the SHB gets ahold. First thorough examination of the spring found SHB in one hive only, but if they're in one, they'll be in all of them in no time. I use beneficial nematodes, chickens, Freeman traps, West traps and beetle eaters. I've never lost a hive to SHB but I've lost several supers of honey.

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    Made up some kill traps using corrugated plastic, old Crisco, and boric acid. Stapled them to the top of frames.
    Did you see the FatBeeMan video mentioned above? I think he puts his traps on the bottom board. He claims fantastic results. Maybe they only arrive at the top of the hive after they have entered through the bottom and infested the entire hive.

I am still wondering if anyone here has seen the video AND used his technique AND still has problems with SHBs.

I used them last year with some success. I had 2 hives with screened inner covers and 2 hives with solid inner covers and the SHB were not nearly as bad in the hives with the screened inner covers. I am not sure why. All of the hives were on SBB. I learned my first year not to take anything for granted when it comes to SHB, they can destroy a hive very quickly.
    To thine own self be true, and it must follow as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.

MichaBees -
    I'm with you there - no luck with the political sign beetle traps. The oil traps are the best, but by far the best advice I got was from an old timer. He laughed and told me to put my hives in full sun. He didn't even ask if they were already. They weren't. They were in full shade. After I moved them to full sun, I haven't lost another. I still see them when I open the hive, but the bees seem to keep them at bay.

I agree... well established hives, sitting in the sun does seem the best way to contain the SHB.

Does anyone know if there are there a lot of SHBs in Kansas? Seems like most of you with problems are located in the south.

I know we have them in Oklahoma, not like in the SE but they are here.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by rgould View Post
    I used them last year with some success.
    What part of the hive did you put them in? Thanks.