Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New page layout

Default Re: New page layout

I for one do not like the ads on my main reading page. Makes my page smaller to read. Can we just have a section by itself for this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    For those of us that advertise a lot it would stack up.
    That's the cost of doing business. Real-world businesses have advertising budgets.

I wonder how far the Amazon affiliate fiasco will go. I can't believe the revenue generated will amount to a great deal. It could have a serious impact on many small businesses.

Personally I've had very little success with Amazon so it wouldn't be any great loss. I just wish there were more bee-related affiliate programs out there. I've tried to encourage bee related retailers to consider affiliate programs and the reaction I get is a mixture of suspicion and apathy.

It's a pity because it seems to me a win-win situation. The online retailer gets increased business, for which they pay a percentage to the affiliate. Set up costs are minimal and on-going costs are directly related to the turnover.

The best bee-related affiliate program I have come across is Back Yard Hives who make top bar hives and associated products. (You might want to check them out Barry) Go to the site and look for 'Affiliates' near the bottom of the menu.

If anyone knows of any other bee related affiliates I hope you'll share them here, or send me a pm.
    http://bees-on-the-net.com/bs
    Bees give me a buzz!

More power to you Barry,

The ads work good on our screen. I'm sure those with a small screen might be offended but will have to deal with it.

Most folks don't realize it but every time they load a beesource page it cost someone something. Since Barry writes the checks its his call.

Ever thought about letting people know what that number is every month?

I'm sure most folks who don't run a url with a lot of downloads really don't have a clue.

Ads pay those bills.

I myself click on the ads to help support the benefit I get from Beesource.

Not sure giving numbers will do anything. I'll say this. Current hosting fee is $1,200 annually. Just to have the site on the server and running. Then I have annual chat licensing fee, forum software licensing fee every time I upgrade, design costs anytime I want to make significant changes like the new member ads that require coding. I plan to upgrade to the newest version of vBulletin, but that will require some help as well. Of course the biggest cost is time, but I'm not charging for that or we would have shut down long ago.

Still some bugs to work out of the new ads.
    Regards, Barry

Barry,
    I have one question. You have the ads here which I think are great especially if it helps the "bottom line". Is it a big deal to perhaps have other suppliers on here as well. I'm thinking of Kelly bees, or betterbee and some of the others? Perhaps they would give 1% of the purchase price if we say that we saw them here or something like that. I know what you said about amazon which totally stinks!!! Would this apply here also? (We all order beekeeping supplies from somewhere at sometime throughout the year.)

The new ad space is open to anyone, giving preference to members. They know how to contact me if they're interested.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The new ad space is open to anyone, giving preference to members. They know how to contact me if they're interested.
    So I take that to mean then that you have let others know about it? Well on the other hand I know that Kelly's has posted here before. hmph there are a few that I'm aware of that I have seen post here. Maby I'll send them an e-mail or something to give them some "feedback" to seek to encourage them to advertise here. I know that if you had one page perhaps that had a title of "beekeeping supplies" or something like that where we could see other suppliers it would have been helpful for me starting out. It took me a little while before I could make my first purchase because I wanted to compair. Then come to find out later that there's another supplier in my own state that I didn't know about. What do you think Barry or others of e-mailing the suppliers to advertise here? For those of us new beekeepers I think it'd be helpful especially since this is a great site!!!

Default Site income

Don't you think affiliate marketing is the way to go, (see my previous post)?
    http://bees-on-the-net.com/bs
    Bees give me a buzz!

Quote Originally Posted by delber View Post
    What do you think Barry or others of e-mailing the suppliers to advertise here?
    I would be really surprised if most every major bee
    supplier wasn't already aware of BeeSource. But it
    wouldn't hurt I guess.

As to the format.......... I was wondering why all the
    blank space on the right of the forum....

hey barry...I just thought of this and am not a technology inclined person what so ever, espcially since im a teenager. Could you delete some of the long non-active accounts? Like people who havnt been on for 1 year or more. Maybe send out mass email to those people? The point being of creating more server space. I just saw there is 13,000 memebers, and about 2,600 active ones. if it dosnt just laugh at my non-tech knowledge.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Chris, just because they're not "active" doesn't mean they would want their account deleted. People can read the posts without logging on, which means they may not show as having been active even though they're using the forums.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

then wouldnt they be guests not memebers?
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Chris, that is totally normal...from what I heard on a average forum you usually only have about 10-20% of members that actually post.
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

So when it says actie users it mean people not posting, as opposed to people not logging on?
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

From an earlier post from Barry:

'Active Members' is a distinction between those members who visit regularly and those who register and then lurk or disappear. Members who have visited the board within the last 60 days are considered active. All others are 'inactive'.
    So if a fellow is lurking without logging on and then decides to reply to a post or start a thread you wouldn't want him discovering that he's not a registered member any longer. Better to just leave them on board. If you've ever been the one who has to purge the church rolls you'll understand
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Thanks Barry. I've fallen way behind on duties here.
    I'm very careful how I purge "inactive" members. I've already had some seemingly inactive members ask why they got deleted after I did a purge. I only delete members who have been registered for over a year and have not posted to the forums. I figure they can always re-register if they want to.
    Regards, Barry

Ill go back into my un-tech savy hole.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

You either love or you hate. You live in the middle, you get nothing.
    ~ Charlie Sheen
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Thank you Charlie! I'm going to move the ads to the right side so they don't interfere with the reply window.
    Regards, Barry

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast